BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to when it becomes necessary to "re-gear" a truck when you go to larger tires. I want a Ranger with the V6 (3.0L I think??). If I run 33's do I need to worry about grearing or does that only come into play for larger tires? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by bikeguy:
I am curious as to when it becomes necessary to "re-gear" a truck when you go to larger tires. I want a Ranger with the V6 (3.0L I think??). If I run 33's do I need to worry about grearing or does that only come into play for larger tires? Thanks...
Depends how you drive. I wouldn't waste my time with the 3.0L. get a 4cyl for economy (false?) or get the 4.0L. The 3.0 will likely compalain a lot with 33's. Personally, with less than a V8, and street/moderate trail running in mind, I'd regear with anything bigger than 31's, to a lower than stock final effect. It takes some grunt to get those heavy tires rolling. The more city you do, the more you will like lower gears, I think. On the highway it should be livable for all but big hills. Just drive FASTER to keep the engine in its torque range :)

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
4.10 gears are not deep enough to turn 38.5's, 3.50's were just barely low enough to turn 33's with a 302V8, 3.55's are not low enough to drag 33's with a 4.0 H.O. a 2.8 never got into 5th gear with 33's and 3.73's.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, mostly stock.
69 F100 mostly modified.
72 Datsun 510, mostly Bondo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.