BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in IH forum. I was told that you had a similar problem in your Jeep. I know you are running the same S-II axles in it as I am in my “Kick.
I need these jam nuts that secure wheel bearings on the spindle, but I cannot find anybody locally that stocks them. Mine are trashed and don’t do a very good job holding the wheel bearings in place. I have gone through 2 sets of wheel bearings in 6 months and every time I get in there the jam nuts are getting worse. The spindle is taking a beating as well. By now my bearing are ready to be replaced again. However, before I proceed, I’d like to find a permanent solution to this problem. It’s getting awfully expensive. Is it true that some ford parts can be transplanted. That would be a good thing, as they are much more common.
Any suggestions??? :confused:

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I also find those nuts to be very annoying.

I am going to use some Ford spindle nuts (along with the washer thingy that goes btwn them) the next time I take my hubs apart. I haven't tried it yet although in the dim recesses of my memory, I seem to recall that when I first stripped down my D44 before rebuilding and installing in my YJ, one of 'em had the Ford-style nuts (ie: round with little holes in 'em).

You could probably just buy 'em from Lordco etc if you want new, or grab a set from the wrecker if you wanna be cheap (like me).

I can't see why they wouldn't work. As long as the thread pitch and spindle dia. is the same, you should be ok.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. theese nuts. The holes are to lock the nut in possition with a tiny allen screw. I wonder if ford spindle would work on a scout D44?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
MudKick said:
Yes. theese nuts. The holes are to lock the nut in possition with a tiny allen screw. I wonder if ford spindle would work on a scout D44?
The Ford spindle won't work because it's longer than the Scout spindle. Your outer axle shaft and wheel hubs won't like that.

The locking nuts should be interchangable though. The Ford or the GM stuff should all work. Buy the proper hub socket and torque them properly. You shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've seen Scout axles with both styles of nuts too. And I think you can add Jeep nuts to the list of ones that can be used on your Scout splindles.

Scout spindles are unique in their 8 bolt pattern to the knuckle. Otherwise, I think they are most similar (if not the same) as Jeep spindles.

Do you have the proper socket to take the nuts on and off? If not, then pick one up. I had that socket, and suddenly the nuts didn't see any more wear to them. :rolleyes: I did replace the washers with new ones on occasion, after being bent over to lock the outer nut a few too many times.

I did have a tweaked spindle for a while. That corner ate bearings pretty quick. You say your spindles look worn, I'd check that too.

One last note (it's worth bringing up,d on't be insulted by my asking) is are you setting up the bearings correctly (right preload?), and maintaining them? I had to repack the bearings at least 3 times a year on the Comanche (daily driver) when I ran the 36" SX's. Otherwise, the bearings would eat themselves. By just repacking them on that interval, the bearing lifetime went way up. (Running smaller/lighter tires let me go longer between repackings.)

I think that if you want to run Ford spindles, you may have to change the whole outer assembly (from the balljoints out).

--Rob

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob, you are 100% on all the points you made. I had no idea about proper preloading. What is it? is there any specific way. I'll be frank, I am not that good at it. I can pull all this stuff apart and put it back together, but I don't know all the "trick of a trade stuuf" and that's a diferance between the job done right or not sometimes.

I have succeeded in finding the lock nuts. I went to Ford dealer, slapped my spindle on the counter and said I need these spindle nuts for a Dana 44. The guy didn't even look up the computer, casually walked to the back and brought me a set. It's the ones that need this special tool. They are about a 1/4 inch thick and have 4 slots on them and a little pin that locks them.
Does any one know how to check if the spindle is tweaked?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
MudKick said:
I went to Ford dealer, slapped my spindle on the counter and said I need these spindle nuts for a Dana 44. The guy didn't even look up the computer, casually walked to the back and brought me a set. It's the ones that need this special tool. They are about a 1/4 inch thick and have 4 slots on them and a little pin that locks them.
How much $$ did the nuts & washers cost?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$17.10 plus tax for one kit. The kit consists of 2 nuts, one of which sports this lil' pin and 1 round washer with a bunch of holes in it. I even have a part number in my truck, if you want I can get it on my brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts