BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i might have a 78 jeep honcho with a 360 in the "levi" edition. How easy is it to swap in somekind of manual tranny and what options do i have for a stick? Or is it just cheaper fixing the auto tranny on the truck?

·
Registered
149 Posts
A t18-d20 combo would probably work. I know some J10's came with that. Good low first gear and strong tranny (4 speed). The d20 t-case sucks though, only 2:1 low. I think a t176-d300 combo would also probably work, at least bolting up to the amc motor-wise.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok offset rear axle, how does this affect off road performance? am i going to run into lots of troubles if the stock auto tranny gives out? i dont think it has a low gear shift and it does have quadratrack

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did a swap to a t18 out of a j20 in my waggy very easy just bolted it all in It even had all the right holes in the frame for the clutch, as for the rear being offset the stock j20's have an offset rear to clear the gas tank and it should be fine, or you could up grade to stronger axles. P.S. I just happen to have a set.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh really? what kinda axles you got for sale? d-60s? any lockers kickin around?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts