BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that my A4LD only has a little life left in it and I am wondering about swaps. I think I'll stay with my 4.0L motor because it makes enough power for me but I'm wondering about the newer style tranny in the SOHV 4.0L engines. I believe the tranny is the same length and input/bellhousing is the same. Only the 5R55-E is electronic. Are the electronics part of the 'master' brain or is it something I can steal from a donor truck and wire in myself.

Any takers for this question?

Cheers

Dale

------------------

1992 Ford Exploder
6" lift, solid Dana44, 33's

"Soccer mom's car on 'roids"

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by tiessen:
I believe that my A4LD only has a little life left in it and I am wondering about swaps. I think I'll stay with my 4.0L motor because it makes enough power for me but I'm wondering about the newer style tranny in the SOHV 4.0L engines. I believe the tranny is the same length and input/bellhousing is the same. Only the 5R55-E is electronic. Are the electronics part of the 'master' brain or is it something I can steal from a donor truck and wire in myself.
Dale the 5R55E is basically a modified A4LD. The computer engages the overdrive in first gear to create second gear. What was 2nd now becomes 3rd and so on. I don't know if they are any stronger but you never know. The ratios are very well matched to the power of the 4.0L. Try http://www.baumannengineering.com they may have a solution or at least they may be able to point you int he right direction.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited December 13, 2000).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.