BC 4x4 Forums banner

Automatic in YJ's

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Y-James 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of converting over to a auto tranny early next year, and am wondering what model would bolt in with little changes, or do I have to go with bellhousing adapters etc.

------------------
Gord
'92YJ-3" Body,
32x9:50 Swampers
OnBoard Air w/hand throttle

#2 ·
Originally posted by Cadex:
I'm thinking of converting over to a auto tranny early next year, and am wondering what model would bolt in with little changes, or do I have to go with bellhousing adapters etc.
A TorqueFlite 999 from another YJ will bolt-in. ;-)

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

#4 ·
Originally posted by Y-James:
I have the a 4.2L in my 88YJ, a 999 will bolt up for me as well won't it?
I'm pretty sure it will. Just make sure you get the auto from a 6-cyl Jeep, no a 4-cyl. The 4-cyl auto is the TF904 which isn't as strong.

I want to switch to an auto tranny as well, how much am I looking at spending for a 999 approx.?
Sorry, no idea. Problem is, they're kinda rare. Not many other options for squeezing an auto behind the I-6 motor. The TF999 is short compared to many other autos. Hmm...if you're really energetic, you could try swapping in an AW4. Unfortunately, it's computer controlled so it's more difficult, but it's a 4-spd so it has an over-drive and they're also reliable like the TF999.

...lars

------------------

#5 ·
TF904 which isn't as strong.
Ma Mopar put them behind the 360cid engines back in the day...why are they not strong? I had one in my 77 Dodge Aspen with a 318...worked quite well. Perhaps you mean not as srtong as the TF999?

Problem is, they're kinda rare.
Well, yes and no. For that particular application maybe, but the TF999 was put in service vehicle applications by Ma for a while...look around, shouldn't be "too" hard to find one.

BTW, TF904 and TF999 are pretty much the same, with exception to internal components and some external...kinda like a NP231 and NP241...IIRC

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

#6 ·
TF904 which isn't as strong.

Ma Mopar put them behind the 360cid engines back in the day...why are they not strong? I had one in my 77 Dodge Aspen with a 318...worked quite well. Perhaps you mean not as srtong as the TF999?
Yes, I meant not as strong...which is why I said not "as strong." ;-)

The 904 is listed as their light-duty Torque Flite. The 999 and 727 are above it in strength/reliability.

Problem is, they're kinda rare.

Well, yes and no. For that particular application maybe, but the TF999 was put in service vehicle applications by Ma for a while...look around, shouldn't be "too" hard to find one.
The poster was seeking a minimal difficulty install for an auto tranny. I have no idea regarding the difficult of using a non-YJ TF999, particularly since the bellhousing requires a CPS mount. Yes, I know there are ways around this but then it becomes more difficult than "bolt-in."

BTW, TF904 and TF999 are pretty much the same, with exception to internal components and some external...kinda like a NP231 and NP241...IIRC
I believe the TF999 uses more clutch packs than the TF904.

...lars

------------------

[This message has been edited by lars (edited November 20, 2001).]

#9 ·
switch to an auto so i can crawl over and down things without having to worry about stalling or working the clutch. not to mention no clutch to replace. rush hour traffic and having to row the gears gets old fast, get an auto,and an aux. tranny cooler and i'm set.

------------------
-James-
1988 YJ Laredo
[ ] | || || || [ ]

#10 ·
Well, you COULD always just get an XJ and have the added wheelbase...

I've got a body lift kit for one that I'll sell you real cheap.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

#11 ·
Originally posted by bradmad:
Why would you want to switch to an auto?
Thats scary...
I'm not saying autos are better than manuals or vice versa. I will say, however, that *I* find them much more suited for technical offroading where slow speeds over extremely difficult terrain are required. It's easier to drive smoothly than with a manual, again, in MY experience.

FYI, I have driven manuals in the past. In fact, all the 4x4s I've owned were manual tranny 'cept for my current 4x4.

...lars

------------------

#12 ·
Larry

what have you found different between the auto and man trannies, ie: pro's and con's of have one or the other. I realize you had them in different vehicles but what did you like/hate bout the maunuals and what did you like/hate bout the autos.

also is the shifter thru the floor on your jeep or is it on the tree. I've seen quite a few stock jeeps with the shifter on the tree (what type of tranny is that used for).

jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
jboudreau32@hotmail.com

#13 ·
Originally posted by IBJeepin2:
Larry
what have you found different between the auto and man trannies, ie: pro's and con's of have one or the other. I realize you had them in different vehicles but what did you like/hate bout the maunuals and what did you like/hate bout the autos.
Well, for starters, I find that there are now only two pedals on the firewall, which makes my life much simpler. ;-)

Manuals are great for bump starting, they generally last longer than autos, and they're better for steep descents. They're terrible for hill climbing (although backing down is better with a manual than an auto) and really rough terrain which requires slow speeds where you are always trying to get at least one vehicle over an obstacle (ie: rocks, etc). Manuals are also less sensitive to water. If they get contaminated one or two fluid changes will suffice. An auto may have to get rebuilt.

Autos are the opposite of manuals. Duh. I've found that the auto is far easier to 'wheel with. The control is far better than with a manual (as long as you learn to ride the brakes while using the throttle sometimes) and steep downhills weren't a problem for the stuff around here. With the 4:1 tcase gears, the auto has really come into its own. Downhills are no longer a problem and the control is even better than before. I've never stalled, either. <g>

Looking at my list, the manual actually looks like the better choice because it is more robust and versatile. However, my experience is that those advantages haven't really been part of my pattern of use. I avoid deep mud (if it'll bury a 35" tire, that's where I draw my limit) and I avoid deep water crossings. I've rarely ever had to bump start a vehicle in the bush and each time I did, I could have easily jump started as well. I suppose if I spent a lot of time in the bush alone, then a manual tranny would be a better choice, though. But then again, so would a Diesel, which, once it's running, can operate even if your electrical system dies. <g> So really, it's a matter of degrees, not absolutes.

If you 'wheel like I do, the auto is, in my opinion of course, a great choice.

I find it difficult to understand people who poo-poo autos from a performance perspective. Most people who have driven my Jeep or have watched me drive it are impressed at how easy it is to _smoothly_ navigate through an obstacle without the lurching and stalling that is common to many manual transmission vehicles. Even those manual tranny rigs that have super low gears still stall and lurch. And smooth driving = longer lasting parts.

also is the shifter thru the floor on your jeep or is it on the tree. I've seen quite a few stock jeeps with the shifter on the tree (what type of tranny is that used for).
It's on the tree. Autos, because of their simple shifting pattern and the fact that the shifter only actuates some valves (ie: not a whole lot of force required), can be shifted with something as simple as a flexible cable. So, to save floor space or for ergonomic considerations, some use a steering column-mounted shifter while others use a transmission tunnel-mounted shifter.

BTW, older (like REALLY old) vehicles also came with steering column-mounted MANUAL transmission shifters. Those are pretty weird to shift but the pattern is largely the same as today's manuals, you just have to think of operating it from the side.

...lars

------------------

#14 ·
Now I find manuals much better, I like shifting, its just fun haha.

But for offroading i like having a clutch so I can ease power to the wheels slowly, and back off quickly if I have to. The definate downside is driving in rushhour traffic, it gets annoying and sore constantly pushing the clutch in and out, and shifting from 1st to 2nd and brake, over and over and over really sucks.
But overall I enjoy manual.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.