BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 95 yj that has the ax 15 trans in it. Was experiencing grinding in and out of 4th gear so i purchased a wreckers transmission but upon testing it out I realized it won't go all the way into fifth gear. So I ended up getting another wreckers tranny only to find out this transmission does the same thing. Its really strange to get two wreckers transmission that do the exact same thing. I've downloaded a ax 15 parts blow up and searched around to find that it could be a few small internal parts but it still (to me anyways) seems weird that two transmissions in a row would do this. The one ax 15 is from a 98 cherokee and felt reaaaaaaaaally nice shifting, the other is from a 94 wrangler which is my YJ now. Any thoughts or help would be great...not really looking forward to taking out the gears/clusters if i can help it but thankx for any help given.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Put new fluid in? Thats pretty much all you can do without taking it apart I would think.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have new fluid in both of them when i tried it. Luckily i have the good one sittin at the bro n laws...and the other in the jeep now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do you have a body lift? If so, how tall?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no body lift...all suspension. Body lift would cause it for sure but weird thing is i get 5th with the original trans.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gave Morris 4x4 a call and they're helpful. He said the 5th gear retaining clip can definately cause this issue but he said i should take it apart before buying any new replacements parts. Sure makes sense to me so i guess i know what i'm doin in the next few days or so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
nothing to help you out with on your issue, but if the bellhousing on your original tranny is fine, I'd happily take it off your hands, along with a few other pieces (looking to do the external slave swap on my heep)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts