BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is involved in swaping out a ax5 with a ax15 into a 92 yj running a 2.5 ltr motor..

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

·
Registered
302 Posts
you'll need a new input gear (or whatever you call it) for the tcase as they have different output shaft spline counts for the two engines (21 vs 23 for the ax15) think that's about it but the bellhousing to tranny mounts may also be different (but I don't think so)

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
best thing for you to do is find someone parting with a ax15 and a 231 w/ a SYE. i sold mine a month ago for 850 and that would have been what you needed. it also came with a SYE for your future SOA.

one route you can go is to swap out your tranny for a ax15 then bolt a dana300 out of a cj to it (100 bucks from gary's). then twin stick it and call it a day. the one thing you need to bolt the tranny and d300 together is a 7/8" spacer that is a circle with 6 bolt holes through it in a circular pattern. any machine shop can do this easily for under 100 bucks i am guessing.
here's the catch, you will have a lot stronger tranny and a huge upgrade in tcase over the 231 (plus the d300 has a SYE on it stock!!! save some $) but the front d- shaft is going to be on the passenger side. i figure since you are doing the SOA and having to reweld all the spring perches you could swap d44 housings too. just find a scout housing and swap from the knuckles out onto it and call it done. (plus you will get the HD 297x u joints which you don't have if you are running a EB44)

if i were you and i was really wanting a new ax15 tranny then this would be the way i would go. well i guess not ~ i would just swap in a 435 with dana20 and have the best of all worlds (except for the loss of 5th gear) hehe

good luck

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Cornjeeper, thanks for the info. Now I have ordered a SYE for the 231 allready. Also Rick out at Gary's said that I can swap the part on the t-case where they mate with one from a 4.0ltr. He said around a hundred bucks. So that is that.. My Question is will the ax15 bolt to my bellhousing and will the tranny mate to the motor ok. I have heard they are a different bolt pattern.

To sum this all up, if I have an ax15 and remove my tranny from the bellhousing will the ax15 drop in. leaving the t-case seperate just motor bellhousing tranny.

Thanks jason

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
302 Posts
AFAIK that should work (just checked some stuff) they APPEAR to be the same cases but the internals are the difference (ax15 having the stronger internals) the external differences are the obvious difference between engine to bellhouse bolt patterns associated with the GM 2.8L pattern of the 2.5L four and the common AMC pattern of the 4.0L the ax15 was normally mated to.

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
ya, it should work. another thing you need to consider is the slave. the later ax15s came with an external slave and the older ones came with an internal (mine had internal in a 93). i am not too sure what you have right now but check the yjFAQ about the slave stuff. you want to get a external one.

for the t-case what is rick going to swap you? is it the input shaft for the t-case?

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for the t-case what is rick going to swap you? is it the input shaft for the t-case?

Yes unless I misunderstood. He said all you do is change the input on the t-case for the 23 spline instead of the 21...

And my slave is internal..

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just curious, Why do you want to swap these?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
Just curious, Why do you want to swap these?

The ax5 is a light duty tranny. where the ax15 is a medium duty.. Better for wheelin strengh = reliability. Thats why I want to swap them...

------------------
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts