BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the Toy 8" is a good solid axle but what other options are there? Would be intrested in finding out what will work in a wider track and what there is for high pinion axles that will work. Also I've heard that a high pinion in the rear in not worth the effort... is this true? Even if you get no added clearance from it I would think that the driveline angle improvment would be enough.

·
1,269 Posts
The real advantage in my opinion to running a toy 8 in the front is the fact that your front and rear diffs are identical and interchangeable and it's about as close to bolt in as you're going to get.

You could go with a 44 or a 60 but then your spring perches are going to need to be either inboarded on the axle or outboarded at your frame.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like the idea of spare parts working for the front and the rear axles. But I also really like the idea of a wider track so I could clear a 14.50 tire. I've heard that an FJ80(?) front with an elocker is the **** for a toy, is this a wider axle? The FJ was a high pinion wasn't it? And when I do get to building fabbing or moving perches is not a problem. The more I learn the more I want to fab my own setup. Bolt on is nice but with my new job it'll be sitting alot and I'll also be getting 1 to 2 weeks ass time between trips to work on it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The `86 and up rear axle is what... 58.5" wide isn't it? I think unless I go with a Dana I would look for the FJ axles I think they are 63" or 63.5" wide and if I can get lucky I might just get lockers with `em. Also I've heard that you can buy 3rd's with a locker for a stupid low price too. Mog axles would be sweet but the price scares me, not to mention disc conversions and the cost of narrowing them they are over 80" aren't they? I want wider, over 60" and high pinion in front.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
edilonzo said:
and you'd have a hard time turning them with a 4cyl:*******
Thats why I have that big ass honkin' hand crank running iinside the truck and a set of bike pedels on the passenger side of the cab... wanna spot for me sometime? :p :D
Axles are after I get the engine swap done... I won't be driving this thing until it's built... the new job will have me on the road for 20+ days a month. Fly home, weld weld, grind, drink beer... fly someplace new!

·
Registered
34 Posts
i've got full size chev axles on my toy...no problems...:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just figured out that a rear FJ80 axle has an off set diff! :angry
If I want to get close to a 63" width without retubing what will work? How much width does a full floater conversion add to a Toy p/u rear axle? Is it wise to run wheel spacers with a full floater if it's too far off 63"? Also I've seen the e-locker into a toy front can this mod be done to a rear axle too?

·
Registered
136 Posts
here is what the best set-up is...

IFS rear Axle,
84 or 85 front axle, stronger then the earlier ones...
IFS Wheel Hubs on that Axle, makes it as wide as the IFS rear, have to move the Caliper to the other side of the mount and use nuts and bolts.. that is all.. simple. simple simple. use some alternative to a stock Birfield.. and you are set!! none of this Dana 60 HP shiz.. good if you are running 38's+!!! keep it simple and you will thank yourself on a nasty trail repair... but this is just all my opinion and to each his own.. :soso

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the target tire size is to run 37" with around 250HP and 320 ft/lbs or torque. And simple is fine with me, I'm just after strong and stable on the trail with lockers front and rear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Spudzz said:
Well the target tire size is to run 37" with around 250HP and 320 ft/lbs or torque. And simple is fine with me, I'm just after strong and stable on the trail with lockers front and rear.
that is strong.. Hp and Torque arent the only things that make birfs break....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spudzz said:
Well I just figured out that a rear FJ80 axle has an off set diff! :angry
If I want to get close to a 63" width without retubing what will work?
How about a cab and chassis 14 bolt? They are 63" wide, full floater, mine came with 4.56 gears stock. What size of tire are you gonna be running?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.