BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
time to do some beafing up
im looking at a ford exsplorer rear 8.8 and i want to lock it
but i do not know what i should do with the front im on 31s and i want to lock the front will the d30 be reliable enogh with a ausse or should i get one of those kits to beaf it up or just buy some thing bigger

oh and im going to school so im on a buget

·
Registered
844 Posts
time to do some beafing up
im looking at a ford exsplorer rear 8.8 and i want to lock it
but i do not know what i should do with the front im on 31s and i want to lock the front will the d30 be reliable enogh with a ausse or should i get one of those kits to beaf it up or just buy some thing bigger

oh and im going to school so im on a buget
I'd stick with the D30. I ran 33's on an ARB locked D30 for years. Even spent a year with 35's on them.

Now the rear D35, that's another story :).

Chris.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Driving style will make the difference. I've run 35's ARB locked on the 8.8/D30 for 4 years. I run stock shafts and bring spares with me. The 30 is plenty strong if you're easy on it. The only weak link for me so far has been the steering linkage .... but i was beating on it that day.

BTW an 8.8 on 31's is going to be a paver on the trail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i would go 8.8. If you don't plan on upgrading the front. The bolt pattern matches 5x4.5 and the 8.8 its strong then the Dana 44 but the dana 44 got better clearness. If you plan on upgrading front your going to have to find a axle with the same bolt pattern which is tough. Just got to think ahead so you don't end up upgrading your upgrades. I don't think there's any dana 44 front that are 5x4.5 and the manual hubs are weak that small. What kinda jeep you have ?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
even with 33s i hang up with the 8.8. whats your future goals with the truck and what kind is it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts