BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 yj with stock 15x8 inch aluminum rims (the ones with 5 holes) i want to go to a 31x11.5 tire . is this going to rub ? and if so what options do i have for off setting my rims without buying new ones ? is their such a product that will bolt on over my hubs and has a new set of bolts on it giving me another inch or so distance ?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The creatures you are talking about are wheel spacers. They are usually an inch thick and have new studs built in to them.

Problem is they run around $200.00 per pair.
Unless you really love your wheels you are better selling them and buying new ones with the corrrect backspacing.

I know more about TJs then YJs, but IMHO 4.5" backspacing on an 8" wheel would be good. This will maximize turning radius while keeping the tread under the flares.

·
Registered
192 Posts
JIMMY JAMES said:
i have a 93 yj with stock 15x8 inch aluminum rims (the ones with 5 holes) i want to go to a 31x11.5 tire . is this going to rub ?
Yes . :eek: You will rub. A lot.

I'm still working on my setup, but with stock wheels and 11.5 tires you will definately make a ton of funny noises when turning your tires too hard.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Another option is to simply adjust your steering stops so the wheels don't turn all the way left/right. You may find that the larger turning radius isn't that bad. I didn't have any complaints when I was running 11.5's on my YJ.

FWIW, my current D44 isn't setup to allow my wheels to turn all the way, either. Why? Well, originally I did it to leave enough tie rod clearance for my diff cover. But now that I'm high steer and don't have tie rod clearance issues, I still left it as is because it also minimizes stress on the axle shaft u-joints.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts