BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain backspacing for me please
Have no idea what it is. Just got 33"12.5x15
want to put them on my TJ which is totally stock.
Is there a place where to buy these spacers
and how mcuh do they cost???

·
Registered
50 Posts
backspacing is the amount that the edge of the rim is inboard of the center of the rim. in other words when you mount your rim on the truck your backspacing is how far in from the hub that the edge of the rim projects towards the middle of the truck.

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
JKS sells 1.25" wheel spacers, but they aren't cheap. A set of AR767 wheels wounldn't cost much more.

1/4" spacers are available at Lordco, but 1/4" is just barely enough and you lose a lot of turning radius. In the rear the stock wheel studs are too short for this type of spacer. With stock wheels and a 1/4" spacer you still could cut your tires on the rear spring perch, but it's less likely.

Backspacing is the measurement from the back of the wheel to the back of the mounting surface. Most Jeep wheels are 5.25".
It's generally felt that 4.75" backpacing is the maximum for 33s, and 4" is better. Problem is that the less backspacing the farther your tires stick out of the flare. With 4" backspacing on my TJ my tires would hit the flare under compression instead of stuffing, so I'd need wider flares.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
371 Posts
If thinking about spacers it would be wise to get a set that bolt to your studs with studs protuding from the spacer. People have had a ton of problems with those inserts that slide over your studs.
IMO a good set of spacers is just as good as an offset rim, as far as wheel bearing wear is concerned. The downside is there is twice as many studs to undue to get at your vitals, and you should double check the tightness occasionally.

The site below has some very well made spacers. Another thing to keep in mind is getting a set that will clear your stock studs without you having to cut off a bit of them. Most studs are probably around 1 &1/4 inches long or slightly more.
A set of 1 & 1/2 inch spacers from performancewheel will cost about $500 CDN to ship to BC. Expensive yes, depends on how much you like your rims.

www.performancewheel.com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Muddy I've got 33x12.5x15's as well on my TJ. I use 4" backspaced American Racing 767 black painted steel wheels. As far as I know, it is the perfect amount of backspacing. I get ZERO tire rub on anything, and with my extended flares the tires squish right up inside the wheelwells. Don't use the stock wheels, IMO it's a bad idea.

Let me stress this if I can:
YOU WILL NOT FIT 33 INCH TIRES UNDER A STOCK JEEP TJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have seen it done before now. He could just-just-just fit them if he's lucky...but he better leave it in the driveway because if a pebble would ever wanna screw up his TJ, it would now have the chance of a lifetime to do so!! :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wish I got a pic of the yj I saw yesterday, the guy had CRAMMED 33's under it stock, it looked like the tires would rub over a speedbump. Unless you've got a lift, don't waste your time, get a set of 31" mudders and you'll be better off!!:soso

·
Registered
860 Posts
no man get the 33's what do theses guys know??? if there is any rubbing/problems, they will quickly be left behind you:*******

1 - 9 of 9 Posts