BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 1989 jeep cherokee limited here is the problem at part throttle it misses and feels like it is only running on 5 cylinders...but if you floor it the thing goes like a raped ape i have changed the plugs cap rotor and fuel filter ...it has a cold air kit on it and there is one vacuum line plugged other than that everything is hooked up......could a bad o2 sensor cause this? im really baffled
:confused2

G

·
turn the key on and off 3 times fast,leaving it on the last time and the computer will flash any codes. it will start wil one flash a space then two, that is a 12. ignore 12 it is a battery code and 55 is end of test. then call Chrysler/Jeep and ask what it means. It may be a TPS

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Can't do that. 89s still have the Renix computer that needs a jumper to read the codes.

91 to 98 can flash the codes.

Almost any of the sensors could cause that problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i think i might have it figured out i unhooked the o2 sensor and now it runs fine just seams to idle high ..im gonna pick up a new sensor in the morning hope fully that will take of it....

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Good.
Before installing the new sensor disconnect you battery.
Once the sensor is in place re-connect the battery.

This clears the computer memory and forces it to re-learn it's fuel ratios. If you don't do this the computer may get confused by the sudden change in O2 sensor readings.

You should do this with any Jeep product any time you make a major repair or after any change to the fuel, spark, or exhaust systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts