BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heading to Banff for the long weekend.

Does anyone know any good 4x4 trails/fire roads that a couple of stock trucks (a Tracker and Blazer) would be able to handle in the Banff area?

:canadian

·
Registered
583 Posts
There is no 4 wheeling in National Parks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
haha, Yup. No off-roading in Banff. (literally. if it's not paved, then you're not allowed to be on it.)

If you're up for an hour or two of driving, then head east on the transcanada and either go south to the Maclean Creek area (I could go on and on about it! Best area I have ever been in for 4x4-ing) or turn left up north and hit the Waiporous(spell?) area. Email Whiteknight on this board, but then again, that's definately no stock truck.

I say bring your hiking boots and hoof it when you're in Banff. You get a better view when you don't have to look through a muddy windshield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I realize there is no 4x4'ing in the park, that is why I asked "around the Banff area".

I have heard there is lots of old roads and trails near the "Brazeau Reservoir" (150km NE of Banff). But as I have never been there, I am not sure what trails are "Stocker Friendly".

If anyone has been wheeling in the Brazeau area, or any other wheeler friendly area's in general Banff area, please enlighten me. Tips on what roads to take a stocker on would be appreciated.

I will, of course, be doing some hiking in the park (why else go there), but we will be there for 4 days, and a day of wheeling would be a nice break.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry, never been there. It looks like a bit of a drive though (2-3 hrs, I could be wrong) Check this out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could go east of the park by Rocky Mountain House and find some cool trails. I'm not very familiar with the area, so I can't tell you of any specific trails. They have a Jeep Jambo there every year so you should be able to have some fun. Try the tourist info or talk to some of the locals. Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found Trails!

It was snowing and Raining all this weekend in the Banff area, makes for some really crappy hiking, but great 4x4'ing! :D

We skipped the Banff stop, since it was snowing when we got there on Friday (SNOWING ON AUGUST 2nd?!? :confused2) , and headed right up to the "Breazeau Reservoir" (north-west of Rocky Mountain House), there are several camping areas around the reservoir and canal, and TONS of 4x4 and ATV trails around it! :)

The rain and snow made for some interesting rides in our stock trucks. Did most of the rides just in the Tracker, and it did surprisingly well in the muddy conditions. (unfortunatly the Blazer is his wifes truck...to make a long story short...it limited our off road use of it...:( ) Only got the Tracker stuck once, and it was in a section I cleared earlier...I slipped sidewise into a rut that was a couple inches too deep for the stock Tracker to take...it did not take much pushing to get unstuck (light vehicles are great that way), but enough to get as much mud inside the truck as outside...and enough to get me thinking of lockers or LSD's (one side was in the slippery rut, the other was on farley stable ground, I'm sure I would have made it if the 2 wheels in the rut where not stuck spinning by themselves.)...and of course more aggressive tires and a suspention lift...maybe next year. ;)

Does it look like I had fun? :) I'd recommend the Breazeau to anyone who wants to go wheeling around that area.

The Tracker ran great for the whole trip, 2600km...250km off road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts