BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I didn't find a troubleshoot/tech section, so I am posting here. My 2002 Jeep TJ 2.5 has been great until recently. Recently when starting it up, the cranking was weak and even if the engine caught, when I stopped giving it gas, it died. Then I checked the battery charge indicator and it was on the lower red side and though it got to about 14 when I finally started it up again and kept it revving a bit, when I switch it off and turn on the ignition, the reading is below 14 and it drops too. I guess I have a leak somewhere? Driving around or low revving for a few minutes does charge the battery. The battery is relatively new (or so I was told about 3 months ago when I bought it).

Is there something that I can do to troubleshoot? I don't have the tools to do much. But I will be glad to try anything. If not, could you suggest a shop that I can take it too around Kitsilano in Vancouver?

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Alternator should be putting out 13.5-14 volts. If it's not it means you have a huge draw (80+ amps, not likely the problem) or the alternator is getting weak. If revving it helps it charge I bet your alternator is packing it in. Don't forget to check you belt tension, even though there may be no noise from it it stll may be slipping.
I have seen battery's cause this but that's nort very common.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternator should be putting out 13.5-14 volts. If it's not it means you have a huge draw (80+ amps, not likely the problem) or the alternator is getting weak. If revving it helps it charge I bet your alternator is packing it in. Don't forget to check you belt tension, even though there may be no noise from it it stll may be slipping.
I have seen battery's cause this but that's nort very common.
No, I think the alternator is fine as once the engine is running, it does put out about 14 volts. I have to rev because it doesn't idle at less than 1000RPM when the battery is weak, not because the alternator isn't putting out enough voltage. I saw two belts and both of them felt tight. I think there is something that is discharging the battery even when everything is switched off. But I don't know how to diagnose that. Do you know a shop that I can take it to? The only one I could find was the Richmond Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, but the guy I bought the jeep from said they are expensive.

·
Registered
772 Posts
if the alternator is putting out enough voltage you should be able to start the motor and disconect the battery all together and it will keep running without a battery.

·
Registered
226 Posts
if the alternator is putting out enough voltage you should be able to start the motor and disconect the battery all together and it will keep running without a battery.
Exactly, the alternator should be able to provide enough power to supply the vehicles electrical needs and charge the battery. If you have to rev the engine then the alternator may not be providing enough power.

I'm not familiar with any repair shops around Richmond, maybe ask your neighbors who they go to if you don't want to go to the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.