BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I lied...the message board is not closing down but it is in danger of doing so for one very good reason: we can't afford it!!! Our last month's web hosting bill came to over CAD$500. The reason for this sky-high cost is that our bandwidth usage (ie: the amount of pages + images we've delivered to you) has been over 50GB.

Advertising revenue is offsetting this cost BUT we can't keep these advertisers if you don't click through and visit their sites and actually call them for price quotes, info, etc. and mention BC4x4 by name.

Obviously, we can't tell you who to buy from but it would help us immensely if you gave the sponsors on our site the opportunity to compete for your business.

Also remember that when it comes to soliciting door prizes and support for various local events, everyone talks to local businesses. But when it comes time to buy, everyone talks about buying direct from US companies. Kind of hypocritical.

Basically, it's a 2-way street. If you want their support, you should support them, too. And likewise, if you want to keep this FREE MESSAGE BOARD going, it is necessary to start clicking-through to our sponsors' websites (both on the message board and website) and giving them the opportunity to compete by contacting them and seeing what they can do for you. You'd be surprised at how competitive they can be.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
144 Posts
Please for the love of god don't add popups.

------------------
475,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well it would help if they where easy to contact.

I've tried to deal with North Shore Off Road without any success.

1) Ever time I've tried phoning them I get a busy signal.

2) They're not open late on weekdays so I can't visit them in person.

I have a Nissan Xterra and no one in BC seems interested in catering to my needs as it is. So I guess I'll keep buying stuff in the States where there are several web sites selling stuff for my truck.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't think anyone would be too unhappy if you charged some extra cash for the bc4x4 stickers, it may just be a few bucks here and there but anything helps i guess.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by scott.com:
Well it would help if they where easy to contact.
Try emailing NSOR. I have in the past when I wanted quotes and they usually email or call back within a day. I recently purchased a winch from NSOR and they were most helpful.

Lars,
Why not do a pirate4x4 thing and sell something,it does not have to be a "red star" but maybe the ability to change the title under your name from "Rock Monkey" to something else. I know not everybody can afford to give money but $20 CDN is not much considering the free advice and access to parts sellers you get with this message board. Just a thought.

JCD

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offers on donations/subscriptions but if Lance's (runs Pirate4x4) experience is anything to go by, the percentage of users on this board who would actually cough up money is too low to cover the bandwidth. Also recall that Lance had to institute a rather intrusive system of pop-up advertising which I have no intention of doing.

As for NSOR and suppliers of Pathfinder accessories, my key point was that you should at least contact local suppliers when you're shopping around for parts and let them know you're contacting them because of us. As I said before, we can't tell you who to buy from but if you at least check with local buyers (specifically those who sponsor BC4x4) then it shows that we're giving what we said we'd give them: exposure and click-throughs.

Who you ultimately buy from is up to you. But if you want to see this message board survive, it's necessary to get more click-throughs and phone calls to our sponsors.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

G

·
I did a price qoute for my coil spacers with NSOR. They called me within a day, and they gave me the best price I've found. I plan on buying from them and I'll be sure to mention BC4x4 when I go in.

·
1,269 Posts
I bought brake lines this morning from NSOR and mentioned BC4x4.COM.
I'll be getting my front driveshaft made by Drive Products too. I'd be willing to kick in some cash to keep the board running.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
The most important thing that our readers can do is to support our advertisers. Click a banner on a regular basis and call them for price quote requests and info. When contacting advertisers please mention that you saw them on BC4x4. A lot of effort goes into getting advertisers for this site and I really would like to see that they get great results from BC4x4.

Larry and I have no plans to charge for memberships, request donations or have pop-ups. This site goes through a lot of bandwidth and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down. Currently BC4x4 is getting over 100,000 unique visits per month and those visitors last month read over 1.5 million pages within the site. We will very likely be transferring about 75 GB's in less than 4 months time. Yearly membership fees, charging more for stickers and small donations aren't really going to help cover the costs of our website bandwidth.

Happy advertisers who are with us for the long term is the only way to keep this site going strong, please support them.

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
Thanks for the offers on donations/subscriptions but if Lance's (runs Pirate4x4) experience is anything to go by, the percentage of users on this board who would actually cough up money is too low to cover the bandwidth.
C'mon Larry....market yourself....with a bit of work YOU can be the Shell Busey of the BC 4x4ing community...look at the money that guy rakes in

JCD (not sure if BC is ready for Larry Soo t-shirts)

·
Registered
145 Posts
i agree with pete. myself and the rest of the rockhuggers would be more than willing to give a donation to you larry. i know i have asked you before about this and you have always said no but next time i see you you better take what i give you or no tulameen trails or camping on my lot for you. (just kidding). i think that everyone should come to the next 4wdabc meeting and give larry and wil a donation, either for a sticker or for the site. just think, if half of us just gave a donation, it would probably be a big help. just a thought. i agree that we all need to support local business on here too, weather it's for buying parts (which i do) or getting work done at those places.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

[This message has been edited by creeper (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Larry already is the Shell Busey of BC4x4ing! Just without the big bucks!
Maybe we can market some BC4x4 all purpose truck cleaner.

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I emailed North Shore myself regarding tires.
They came backin a couple of days with a quote. Unfortunatly being in the Okanagan they were too far away to deal with.

How bout some major chains like Lordco and Canadian Tire. speaking of which CT may not have the latest greatest but they do have reasonable price points. Sides it beats going to the mall on a cold winter day.

------------------
4x4pics

·
Registered
183 Posts
i dont think canadian tire would be very good sponsor when there refered to as crappy tire.. hahahaha
Originally posted by Sid the Squid:
I emailed North Shore myself regarding tires.
They came backin a couple of days with a quote. Unfortunatly being in the Okanagan they were too far away to deal with.

How bout some major chains like Lordco and Canadian Tire. speaking of which CT may not have the latest greatest but they do have reasonable price points. Sides it beats going to the mall on a cold winter day.

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Jordan:
C'mon Larry....market yourself....with a bit of work YOU can be the Shell Busey of the BC 4x4ing community...look at the money that guy rakes in
JCD (not sure if BC is ready for Larry Soo t-shirts)
Well, Shell actually lives about 3 blocks from me so I could always set up some surveillance and watch how he operates.

Or maybe we'll create a new line of clothing..."BC4x4 For Her."

But seriously though, click throughs and mentioning BC4x4 is the absolute best way to keep this message board alive. It costs you nothing but everyone wins.

As for donations, that's a nice thought but I'd feel too uncomfortable taking money from you folks.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by jasonped:
i dont think canadian tire would be very good sponsor when there refered to as crappy tire.. hahahaha
I once slipped in an interview with them for 5t driver and called it crappy tire, Also they just went to court to get the rights to www.crappytire.com cause it's a term of endearment.

------------------
Pat "Mustang" Patterson
80 F250 open f/r 4.10:1 351M/?4spd/NP208 Mine
79 Bronco open f/Welded r 3.50:1 400M/C6/NP205 Wife's

·
Registered
382 Posts
I say you have a donation area that people can donate if they WANT! I have 20.00 bucks here for you right now. I know its not much but I am willing to part with it if it helps.
Man I was relly wanting to buy beer with that 20. lol

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've noticed a couple of people on here have mentioned about the sticker. But i thought that was just offered to 4wdabc members. If you consider selling the stickers, i'd be willing to pay more than enough for one of those stickers to help out the site. This site is great, especially for helping and selling stuff, since were all reasonably close to each other. I do some price quoting for ya guys. But again, if not donation, i'd consider selling stickers, but only to members that have creditbility(i think thats the word i want) on this site, and jack up the price so not just some one of the mill joe can buy a sticker, and limit one per customer, but a special price for 4wdabc members. I'd pay $25 for a sticker and help out the website, i think you'd make some good money that way.
Jordan

------------------
WANTED:
33x12.50MT's, 4.5"+ shocks and lower control arms, a cheap 12" sub, and a cheap amp

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Do you get money if only we buy stuff from the suppliers' advertising here or by the click throughs from this site, we could all go on an emailing rampage and get you lots of dollars to fit some nice MOG axles under your vehicle Larry...LOL. I would be willing to donate some do as well, I will start saving my empties...LOL. I am in need of some stuff so I will send out a couple RFQ's in the near future!

If you shut this down then what would I do with all my free time when I am travelling the country!

Matt

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 65 Posts