BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my problem. Rebuilding an 87' 258 for my YJ. I got the timing chain cover installed ( what a mess ), and when I was putting on the vibration damper there was less clearance on one side than the other. The side with less clearance actually pushed part of the seal inward. Good God, I hope cranks not bent. I just got the crank ground and pollished. So I pulled the cover off once again and it looks alright. Not to sure what to think.

Here's my question, with all the bolts installed on the cover shouldn't the cover centre itstelf, or do I need a special tool?

And is it possible to bend the nub of the crank? It seems to tough to bend. Who knows!

All I know is that i can't afford a new crank.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
How about a bent vibration damper?

·
Registered
200 Posts
mde said:
Here's my problem. Rebuilding an 87' 258 for my YJ. I got the timing chain cover installed ( what a mess ), and when I was putting on the vibration damper there was less clearance on one side than the other. The side with less clearance actually pushed part of the seal inward. Good God, I hope cranks not bent. I just got the crank ground and pollished. So I pulled the cover off once again and it looks alright. Not to sure what to think.

Here's my question, with all the bolts installed on the cover shouldn't the cover centre itstelf, or do I need a special tool?

And is it possible to bend the nub of the crank? It seems to tough to bend. Who knows!

All I know is that i can't afford a new crank.

Cheers.
It is not possible to bend just the nub of the crank, at least not from turning and polishing anyway. you might want to check your vibration damper like dan said. i doubt your crank is bent, if it was bent it would be bent in the middle and it would affect both ends and not just one. As for the cover, yes it should center itself when you put all the bolts back in, but you need to watch out what order you put them back in. there isn't a set order, but common sense should prevail to do a bolt at the top one at both sides and one at the bottom and then work in a criss cross pattern from there (just like wheel nuts). that should center the cover pretty well I think. :D :read

1 - 3 of 3 Posts