BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have enough to buy only one set of tires for both playing this fall and daily driving all winter. I was wondering what your opinions were on various MTs as snow tires. I am currently looking at BFG MTs cause I can get them for like $160 at Costco (price is always a factor) but I wouldn't mind forking out a little more for something better. Big-O MTs seem popular and I was thinking that the smaller lugs might be better on the ice. Has anyone ran MTRs in the winter? They are way more then I was looking to spend but if there is any significant advantage in the winter over other tires I might consider it. The other thing is that I am looking at the posibility of going to 33s rather then 31s in which case the BFGs have an advantage in that I would get the 10" width rather then a 12.5" for better traction on the ice.

Any opinions? Are there any other tires that you recomend?

·
Registered
382 Posts
have a look at the big o xt.
i had them for a year they were an awsome all around tire.
good in every element.
stuck to wet roads like glue.

·
Registered
544 Posts
if you are just talking about snow and ice the 10" are going to be way better then the 12.5"

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the Big-O warranty is sweet too, but I am not really looking for an all round tire. I am sorta looking for a good MT that isn't going to get me killed in the winter... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan O said:
if you are just talking about snow and ice the 10" are going to be way better then the 12.5"
Thats what I was thinking. Since Costco has no warranty to speek of either, I was thinking of even sipping the center lugs on a set of BFGs.....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
BFG's are a killer tire as far as I'm concerned. Just FYI, my MT/R's stick well in wet conditions, though I've never tried them in ICE. I have a feeling they're going to be awesome in the snow :D

I think the key to not getting killed is to just slow down. Remember, if that guy behind you is being a total ******* and riding your tail, all you've gotta do is kick it into 4low and reverse at the next stop sign :) Prelude Pancakes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts