BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I dont want to start a brand war here but I was wondering if we could compile a list of trucks with the best stock 4x4 components, Trucks easiest to modify and repair, and most resistant to rust and frame abuse. Guess that leaves my Toyota out

Here goes....
87 Chevrolet 1 ton.
dana 60s', 205 case, Turbo 400 tranny. 454 fuel injected engine. Great frames except where the steering box mounts to frame. Huge body panel aftermarket.

77 Bronco.
9 inch and d44. 302 V8. Decent frame and rust resistance (from what I have seen up here in the GWN) Small enough to fit on trails. Fiberglass or aluminum aftermarket bodies.

93 (yikes) Dodge 1 ton.
Cummins turbo diesel. D60s again! 205 case (I think, was told about this one) NV4500 tranny will bolt right up. Galvanized body panels.

Hey I know there are more, these are just my favorites. Tell us about your favorites and why.

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If rust resistance is a factor, any of the Chrysler Jeeps would be a recommendation, particularly from '90 onwards when the galvanization seems to be especially good.

I particularly recommend the YJ because I have a lot of experience with one. ;-) Easy to work on, and easy/cheap to modify. A spring-over and 8.8 rear end and a rear locker will result in an extremely capable 4x4. Because the tires stick out beyond the sheet metal, it takes a lot of effort to damage the body on tight trails.

Accessories and upgrades for YJs are widely available and often reasonably priced.

The 4.0 and 2.5 motors are reliable and run fine at any angle thanks to the factory fuel injection systems. Power output on the 4.0 is great and torque is also very good. The 4.0 is one of the all-time great 4x4 motors.

The best YJ years would be '94-'95.5 with the '91-'93 a close second.

The squarish shape makes it easy to build accessories such as front/rear bumpers, winch mounts and rocker armour.

Samurais and Land Cruisers share these qualities (and have beefier drivetrain components for their respective sizes) but, unfortunately, they don't fare very well in the rust resistance department.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are looking for an all-round 4x4 rather then just offroad/rock crawling specific then I would recommend the Dodge. The Cummins is an awesome engine. I have heard of them easily getting over 600,000 miles if looked after right. There is a fairly large amount of aftermarket support too. The 94-97 16valve models are the most solid from what I understand. Banks makes a turbo for the 16v that increases power by 127hp and 311 pounds of torque.
Can't says much for for the reliability of the other components such as trannies, etc, but every guy I know who has one says that they last forever.

...can't say the same for any jeep.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Let's not overlook the dodge manual NV4500 transmission, granny low first gear and OD 5th...D60 solid axles front and rear, the 3/4 ton models have coil springs up front for a nice cushy ride.

Stay away from the 87 YJ, they are heaps of Junk!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts