BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at repacing my shocks all round on my '93 and was wondering if there was any real performance difference between shock brands for that short of travel. Rancho 5000s, RSXs, Pro-Comp 3000s,etc.? Any opinions. Is it worth spending a few extra bucks on or not? Truck is stock so far but I might be looking at a 1" t-bar/shackle lift w/ a 1" body to fit 33s but I haven't decided completely yet if it makes any difference. And yes it does see offroad use not just highway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
well hehe you dont gotta worry about limiting travel, so any shock will do the trick i wud think

·
Registered
387 Posts
good buddy of mine runs rancho 5000's and loves then! good and stiff! his ride is an 87 toy pickup

·
Registered
74 Posts
the Black Diamond A/T's (nothing against the XT's though) are the biggest piles of garbage I have ever seen. I have gone through 9 complete sets over 2 1/2 years. Thats 36 shocks people. Most of the shocks go back in at least 2 pieces. Very bad welds. And for those of you who may think I abuse them. You may or may not have seen pics of my truck. Most of the shocks broke over winter and only 2 ever broke off-road (seals leaked) I have repeatedly double, triple, quadruple checked to get the right shock for my application and have even contacted Warn (when they were still carrying Black Diamond) and confirmed that I had the right shocks and even they could not figure out why I was going through them like some members of this board go through birfields. Suffice to say I ended up putting the factory shocks back on and haven't had any problems other than them limiting my rear articulation a little. I am thinking about my next shocks being either the Trailmaster SSV's or else the Edelbrock IAS Performers. They are both gas shocks and have a sensory valve built in for street and offroad driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If my pro comp es3000's ever break (crossing my fingers here) I'll probably buy rancho rs5000's. Got a few friends who use them and stand by them. Has anyone heard any reputable reviews of rancho RSX's??? I haven't heard a damn thing about those...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Greg said:
I thought the ES3000 was the same shock as the RS5000.
??? Where'd ya hear this? I suppose it's possible that they're the same shock before they get labeled, but somehow I doubt it...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baby Joe said:
If my pro comp es3000's ever break (crossing my fingers here) I'll probably buy rancho rs5000's. Got a few friends who use them and stand by them. Has anyone heard any reputable reviews of rancho RSX's??? I haven't heard a damn thing about those...
How do you like the ES3000s?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I they're a really nice solid feeling shock, I don't have much experience with other shocks, but they're much stiffer than my stock TJ shocks for sure. Offroad they seem to give a lot more, probably because I'm going a lot slower and giving them more time to extend and contract. Anyhow, I've got mine paired with some really soft springs and they do the job really well, they are however pretty jolty when it comes to little bumps, and you feel a lot of road bumps.

They're cheap, so they're worth the cash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts