high-mileage test cars developed under the Partnership for a New
Generation of Vehicles, a joint effort by the administration and
automakers.

The administration challenged automakers to develop production
prototypes of a family-size sedan that got at least 80 miles per
gallon.

GM's Precept has reached the goal; the other automakers'
concept cars have come close. All use a combination of electric
and diesel engines, aerodynamic designs and lighter materials.

The automakers say they can use some of those advancements in
2004 models. Ford plans a model in 2003.

Honda already sells a hybrid car, and Toyota will have one this
year.

Volkswagen has a prototype diesel/electric that gets 120mpg that is coming to Europe in the next five years.

------------------
475,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
1,269 Posts
Vice President Al Gore? How old is that article?

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
What's funny is that the VW Lupo 3L, which has been on the market since 1998, gets 3L/100km (94 mpg Imperial, or 78 mpg US). In other words, very close to the same economy as a hybrid without the additional complexity or cost. All it uses is a direct injection turbo Diesel.

The eco groups in the US are against Diesels but the eco groups in Europe accept them because, simply put, they are more efficient than gasoline engines.

I think that's why you don't hear much about new car-based Diesel developments in North America unless it's related to hybrid technology.

"Hybrids, which use a combination of combustion and electric power plants, seem to be the most viable green cars available today. They emit almost no pollution, have high mileage, and use proven, already scaled technologies. In the near future, green cars are expected to be available using fuel cell technology, and over the next twenty years a host of other emerging technologies will compete to create the ultimate green car through advanced hydrogen and methane combustion engines, new hybrid combinations, flywheel systems, etc.

But there is another green car already here, although virtually unheard of in the United States. That car is the Lupo, a small four passenger car produced by Volkswagon that uses a high-technology ultra-clean burning diesel engine and gets 90 MPG. This car was launched throughout Europe in the fall of 1998. Volkswagen pioneered green diesel engines beginning in the early '90s when they introduced "direct injection" technology, in which fuel and air are pumped directly into cylinders. This innovation decreased fuel consumption of the already fuel-efficient diesels by 15%. Volkswagen engineered not only eye-opening fuel economy into their diesels, but also dramatically lowered emissions.

Volkswagon Lupo
The black soot coming from old generation diesel engines is caused mostly when excess fuel is pumped into the engine. Direct injection technology controls the air and fuel mixture to the engine, eliminating almost all smoke. Nearly all smoke and invisible pollutants that remain are captured by fitting the diesel engine with a catalyst, making Volkswagen's engines the cleanest burning diesels in the world. The Lupo complies with all of the European Community's auto-emissions regulations, some of which are quite strict. "

Read the whole article at: http://www.ecoworld.com/Articles/Hybrid_Cars_EW.htm

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited March 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by lars (edited March 08, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
It doesn't look like the Lupo is available un America. It is not on the american VW site, but it is on the German site.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VW also has a 3L turbodiesel truck coming out too.

We here in N-A always get stuck with the crapiest vehicle selection and fuel quality.

The sulfur content for diesel in Canada is at 0.05
In Europe it it 0.02

Their octane ratings are also over 100.

With all the cool new emissions technology coming out for diesels and their traditional quality we'll be seeing a lot more of them.

I rented a Renault Scanic in Germany last year it was a 1.9L NA diesel and that thing had more balls than any comparable gas car I have ever driven here at home. It had awesome takeoff and had it at a steady 180 on the highway, tons of power - plus no oil change after 12,000kms(Mobil Synthetic). And at that speed it still got around 25-30MPG. I even saw some toy diesels - corolla, pickup.

------------------
475,800 and rising

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The diesel engines. Diesel friends can decide between two direct injecting he
Diesels: for a 4-Zylinder-SDI with 44 KW or for the new 3-Zylinder-TDI with 1,4
litres capacity and 55 KW.
www.volkswagen.de

------------------
475,800 and rising

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
When we were on the European continent about 3 or 4 years ago, we rented a little Geo (3-cyl) petrol engine car. In Belgium it cost around CAD$70 to fill the tank!!

In 2001 when we were in Scotland, we ended up renting a 4-cyl petrol wagon (needed a mid-sized car) so was unable to try a Diesel then. However, I noticed a LOT of cars over there were Diesel-powered. Seemed even more prevalent than when I was on the Continent 3 or 4 years ago.

My in-laws have a Geo Metro so I have a lot of experience driving that car so I can compare it to my '91 Jetta 1.6L TD. Both cars get around 50mpg but the Geo has a bit more acceleration. However, the VW is a larger, better handling, and quieter car. If my Jetta had the current 1.9L TDI motor, I think it would be faster than the Geo and it would definitely get better fuel economy. I definitely think the modern Diesel has a lot to offer in terms of a practical, super efficient car engine.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
VW has some really smart people working for them. Used to have a VW Diesel Rabit...the axles rusted out before the engine even needed a rebuild. And that was a early 80s model.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts