BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep putting off buying a new truck because i wanna do more rearch so i dont screw myself over. So i got another question for u guys. Whats the biggest size tires can i run on a late 80's early 90's ford f150 without blowing my rear end. Lifted or not lifted it does not matter

thanks again guys

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I see alot of guys running 33s on their lifted Fords with no apparent problem. I am sure you can run 35s if you want. But you have to remember you can break anything with stupidity. I am sure if you load the truck right up and use alot of right foot, you will blow up whatever rear end you have no matter what it is.

Wes

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i am thinking of lifing a f150 but i wanna run 35" on stock gears

Is anyone doing that with no problems????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
well i am thinking of lifing a f150 but i wanna run 35" on stock gears

Is anyone doing that with no problems????
I've been running 35s for about a year street and off road. (Daily driver). If you can get 'em to fit, you should be quite driveable still. I went to 33s and saw I still had some room so I went for the 35s. Much happier with the bigger. 35s are generally considered the largest to go with stock running gear on our trucks (I run a '80 Bronco).

·
Registered
41 Posts
alright I have a 1988 F 150 A custom 14`` all suspension lift, with a solid axle conversion up front. I am running 39.5 Swampers and a Welded rear end. the rear end is the stock 8.8 inch, I am also using 3.08 gears (talk about 100 mph in first gear) now Ive had these tires and gears for about 9 months. Shure its slower than before but its not bad enough to make me do the gear swap ( To bring me back to stock rpm/kmh I need 4.56 gears) I also only have a 6 cylinder engine. Now the strength issue. Im now on my 4th transfer case(broke 2 in half, ripped out bearing support in 1), 2nd zf transmission (broke in 1 half) 2nd body, broke 21 front axle shafts, countless hubs, bent 2 front diff housings, broke 2 steering knuckles right off (tire , rotor , knuckle dragging under truck attatched to tie rods) twisted 2 driveshafts into 2 pieces, and NEVER EVER BROKE ANYTHING IN THE 8.8`` REAR END I beat the **** out of my truck and an 8.8 with 35`` tires is like 44`` tires on big foot, you will never break it (well you can but its not a concern) Any ways 35``ers on stock gears in an 8.8 is just fine. I fix and set up gears all day long for a living, and the 8.8 is tough, exept the open diffs like to eat spider gears. Posis, or limited slips, what evert you chose to call them help out alot, they have tough housings and pretty damn big axles BY the way this is my DAILY DRVER TOO

[This message has been edited by Stains (edited May 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Stains (edited May 02, 2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts