BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allrighty now....

I know that 225/75/15 (Some even say 235) are the largest tires that will fit on a stock Sidekick without rubbing. Question is, will they fit on the stock alloy rims? Right now I have 205/75/15's, and I just wanted to make sure that the 225's won't be too wide for the rim.

Pardon the noobie-ness, as i'm just getting into wheeling. Been a rally nut / import tuner thus far, till I went up to Stave this summer. Got to a point where I needed more clearance to go any further.... now i'm determined to get some more clearance and tackle that SOB!

:canadian :beer

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I run 235/75/15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on my then stock sidekick for two years. They did not rub almost at all. The only time they touched the frame was at full turn when the wheel which was turned - so its back was facing in had all the weight on it. Very insignificant. The rim is big enough. Don't listin to some tire shops that will swear they won't fit. They will. Gofor it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't really go 30x9.5 on 5.5 wide rims, unless you don't go offroading. When you air down you'll have a real big chance in blowing a bead. Not saying you will but a bigger chance.

urban_offroad

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yoy may not believe Urban offroad, because he is selling his set, so you may think he is biased, but he is right. I think 30/9.5 are in the range of pushing your luck. I'd stay with 235s.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I will second the 235 movement. Most tire shops wont put a 30 on a 5.5 rim. Not to mention the rubing on the frame. Ewwww.

I had to throw my spaces to get rid of my rubbing. Mind you my rims are not that offset.

·
Registered
83 Posts
MudKick said:
Yoy may not believe Urban offroad, because he is selling his set, so you may think he is biased, but he is right. I think 30/9.5 are in the range of pushing your luck. I'd stay with 235s.
These tires have been on the rims since new. I got them off a truck I parted out afew years ago. The guy who ran the truck worked in the forestry indusrty as a civilenginer and the tires were used and abused. They never ever came off the bead. Even when the truck was rolled they did not come off so you tell me they dont fit. In actuall fact the tires are 30" tall but more like 7" wide, So I dont see the problem with mounting them on a 5.5" wide wheel. If they dont fit your truck then that is somthing diffrent. I dont know what fits on a Kick so I guess I should not have said anything eh? Just thought that it is one of thoes sizes that is overlooked when tire shopping. I never even said that I had any of them here. I was not going to even offer them. I figure for a tire that size and the cost of them most people can afford to buy them new. I have used the ones I have for building trucks and painting them so you do not hurt the rims or tires with weld splatter or paint overspray. As I am basicly finnished building my truck I do not need to keep storing them here. So for the cheap price someone else can use them as I did.
Sorry for pissing on your cornflakes!
Vic

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cornflakes? (Homer): MMM crunchy...

August 22, 2002
Dear Mr. Zuki:
I would like to apologize for angering you in such one sided, inconsiderate fashion.
As a by standard to this post I had absolutely no right to voice my opinion on that matter. NOT!
I mistakenly omitted to notice that simply by agreeing with one out of two posters, namely yourself and Urban Offroad, I evidently insinuated that I have a personal reason to agree with Urban and not you. NOT!
I also apologize, since this is an off road Bulletin Board, for wrongfully assuming that lowering air pressure in the tires is a common thing around here and there may be a difference in losing a bead on a tire deflated to 12 PSI versus a 28 PSI. NOT!
In conclusion, I would like to express my deepest regret and request forgiveness, yet again for making you “piss on MY Cornflakes”.

I’m just kidding.
Mr. Zuki, did’t mean to hurt your feelings man. But I still think a 235 is better. I have seen people run bigger tires then 30 on 5.5 rims, but I wouldn’t. You may have a different experience and so may had the previous owner. However, we don’t know how low a pressure you ever run. The higher the PSI in your tire, the lesser chances of popping a bead. That’s all.
Now, as far as your 30/9.5 tire measuring only 7 inches is concerned, I have a heavy suspicion you took this measurement with a tire on the rim. Obviously the side walls were pulled in by the rim. If I remember correctly, and please feel free to scrutinize this if you wish, a 9.5 inch tire should sit on a 7.5 inch rim to obtain its full width. On a rim 2 inches narrower the tire will be roughly 2 inches narrower, too.
Hey, I voiced my opinion, you voiced yours, it makes no difference to me. Relax, have a beer.
:mullet

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run 16x35x15 Boggers on a 15x10. I run 3lbs of air offroad. If I run them down to 1lb they finally start to flex offroad but roll the bead off. No problem, I will install a set of beadlock rings to be able to make these tires work.

Anyway I just posted my experiance with a tire that is not talked abought or seen much. Most people just go straight to a 31x10.5 and for a stock truck the 30x9.5 is a nice narrow fitting tire. Next time I am in Vancouver I will let you know so we can share a few :beer and BS 4x4's , Hows that sound?
Vic

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Beer it is! Mmm... Beer...

Sounds like an invitation to me. As a matter of fact I will be in K town in Sept. I will post in Trail Talk when I am coming.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Woooo Boys Wooooo, I had 235 on the stock tracker rims and when aired down on the trail it looked kind of if-eee. I guess it would depend on the tire also, sidewall/ply. Like I said in the first message it's only a chance that it might roll off the bead.

Urban_offroad

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did some checking around today.... one guy (the nicest) suggested 30x9.5, but I sill have my stock suspension... Rubbing is bad, Mmmmkay.

That, and some places won't even mount the 235's, since its not considered a direct fit in their guides. Liability concerns. Hell, some won't even mount the 225's i've got kicking around (thanks to CRS for the freebies!) for the same reason. Speedy would do it, but wanted $115 to mount and balance! :eek:

Costco would charge $8 each, but won't do it for the above reason.... they'd sell me new 235's, but wouldn't mount them either.

Haven't tried Kal Tire yet....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used to run 30x9.5 (a long time ago in a galaxy far away) and they seems to work ok for me.

Later, I went 33x9.5. NOT advised. The sidewalls become much to flexy and it leads to spooky on road handling and makes the truck feel very tippy off-road.

$0.02

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.