BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question of the day. i have to replace the seal on the backside of my steering knuckle [birfield?] on a 89 sami. i've got the seal replacement figured out , but, i do not know if the joint was packed when it was assembled {like a cv joint?]? i can't find a grease nipple or anything obvious. the haynes manual shows nothing what else is new. I am just new to samis and have been working thru a bunch of issues that came with my vehicle, it has been geat to work on so far untill this basic logic has worked. [except fot the stock 89 carb from hell that will be a later issue] thanx from a newbie

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
On the front of my 85 toyota 4x4, I used wheel bearing grease and packed both the birfied and the area around it, toyota had a big bolt that comes out and u can pack almost a whole grease gun worth of grease into it. I am pretty sure this is how u do it, just tryin to help, I sold my truck after a month of doing this so I don't know if it lasted I had to replace the inner axle seals.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
100 Posts
General wheel bearing grease will work but I would recommend getting a tube or two of CV joint grease for each joint, available at most autoparts stores.

------------------
A real 4by is one that has been over on all four sides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts