BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch has air in the hydraulic system, and I wanted to know how difficult it is to bleed the system. The clutch is brand new, but it seems to be grabbing a little late, I want more free play on the pewdal. How can I achieve this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think Ford says pump like 250 times before cracking the bleeder for the first time.You could try back bleeding by somehow forcing fluid from the slave up to the master if yer all alone?

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,300,4spd now

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go under the truck and on the drivers side near the front of the bell housing you will see the bleeder valve. Remove the cover from the clutch fluid resevoir - on the firewall to the right of the power brake booster. Attach a clear tube over it and open it up a quarter turn or so. Have someone slowly depress the clutch pedal to force fluid through the system and then close the valve before they release the pedal. Open the valve and do it again and again until there are no air bubbles coming out. Make sure you keep an eye on the resevoir so it does not run dry or you will be pumping air into the system. I'm pretty sure the slave cylinder uses brake fluid. Good luck. Hope you don't have to replace the clutch, can you say nightmare.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To add a little to Andy's tips, try filling the bleeder hose up with fluid. Also make sure it's expelling end is submerged in brake fluid.

What I did on my 92 f 150 (internal slave cyl) is that I drilled a hole in the master cyl cap and attached a hydraulic fitting a then hooked that up to a CLEAN hand pump and pumped away. I was slowly forcing new clean fluid through the system. I put about two litres through it, nice and flushed.

I then did the 250 pump trick and found no air. It's like doing leg squats if you switch up legs every so often. No I didn't pump it 25o times in row, I did it in 25 pump intervals, cracked the bleeder valve while there was 1/2 pressure on the pedal (Ass-istant needed). Do this quickly and don't let the pedal boy release his pedal or else the expelling hose will suck instead of spit. In this case, you want a spitter and not a sucker (sorry ladies, I couldn't resist). Each time I did it, I found no air.

Two people is allright, but three is awesome. One running the clutch or CLEAN hand pump, one running the bleeder valve and one running the jack and coke. hehehe. A lot of patience should also be at the top of the list.

And don't force fluid from the slave up to the master like Mech3 says. I'm sorry to say, but that's what I call self-fucking. With enough hose, you can do my forced fluid trick all by yourself. Just securely tie off the pump to the frame and you'll have one hand on the bleeder, one on the pump. Also if you have some spare hose around, you could also have that jack I mentioned earlier.

Email me back if you have to replace the clutch. I did mine in three days, ON MY OWN.

Always Lengthy
Steph

------------------
I have a secret club called T.U.R.N. It stands for Team Urban *******. Davey and myself are the founders and leaders of the club. Latest News: Ford (French Off Road Domination) takes first place in the third annual ******* Training Weekend. He also took first place in the open fire pit steak cooking contest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts