BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with centreforce clutches. Are they any better than, say, a heavy duty clutch? Any input would be great.

------------------
`80 ToyChoda
Big, blue and backfiring

·
Registered
453 Posts
yeah they rule, i had a center force in my 81 it was great off road and totally worth the cash.

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx mudhucker, i will look into getting one

------------------
`80 ToyChoda
Big, blue and backfiring

·
Registered
9 Posts
My clutch is just about gone. Its been awhile since I have replaced a clutch and I was wondering if you guys could tell me all the parts I need to get.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Clutch Disk
Pressure Plate (Usually comes with clutch)
Throw out bearing (not 100% needed but strongly recommended)

And a clutch aligned tool helps out a tonne, check to see if your clutch kit comes with one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the last few clutches i bought for assorted vehicles (not all mine, i did them for friends...I can drive stick...no really!) Anyways most of them came with the tool...most Dynapak brand clutches come with them. Oddly enough the Dynapak from Lordco didn't, but all the Cambodian Tire ones did.

------------------
`80 ToyChoda
Big, blue and backfiring

·
1,269 Posts
Definetly get an alignment tool, you can re-use it so it's a lifetime investment.

If you do get a Centerforce, don't piss around with the Stage I or II, go straight for the Dual Friction. I have a II and it works great, but wish I'd gotten the dual friction. It's only like 40 bucks more.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much did you pay big bad pete? Lordco wanted 400.....luckily i got a good discount

------------------
`80 ToyChoda
Big, blue and backfiring

·
1,269 Posts
I was quoted 350 for a Stage III with a decent discount. You could probably find one cheaper. I went with a Thrush throwout bearing instead of the Centerforce one because it would have taken 2 weeks for the Centerforce bearing to come in. The Thrush one cost me $20 and hasn't made a noise since I put it in.

------------------

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Rockjock, I think Centerforce dual frictions are going for about 340 (22R applications) for internet customers at North Shore Off Road.

Send them an email to get the price : http://www.nsor.com/pricequote.cfm

[This message has been edited by Wil (edited March 10, 2002).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Also for an alignment tool what my Dad and I did is find an old shaft, hack it off and use that instead of buying one. All of the friends use it too!

------------------
85 Toyota XtraCab 4x4, 31's and in progress...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm running a Centerforce DF w/ heavier flywheel and highly recommend it.

------------------
1986 Toy pickup
Locked, geared, winched and EFI converted

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
dont overlook the pilot bearing (inside the crand end )!!!!!!!!!!!
it'll cost you about 10 bucks, or another 300 to put it in later when it seizes!

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmmmm, what kinda power you got to be needing a better than stock clutch???i got the 22re with a 20r clutch in it, no difference between all the 4 cyl clutches.ive also never had any troubles with the clutch either, just the master and slave cyl. just a thought, stock is most likely good enough....its lasted how long now???will you own the vehicle for longer than it took for the oem clutch to wear out?just figure money would be better spent elsewhere, like superbirfs,lockers,header or gears?o yeah, '81 and got a stock aisin clutch

------------------
'81 yota, bobbed flt dck,22re,marlin,5.29,coils,locked and more

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey kelmil, you need to get a friction plate, spring plate, throw-out bearing, and a pilot bearing. Some clutch kits have all the parts as part of the kit but you should ask to make sure you got everything. A clutch allignment tool will help greatly in the assembly process. Don't forget to remove the flywheel and have it machined, this will help your new clutch break-in evenly.

Goodluck

xsflex
Originally posted by kelmil182:
My clutch is just about gone. Its been awhile since I have replaced a clutch and I was wondering if you guys could tell me all the parts I need to get.

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by edilonzo:
hmmmm, what kinda power you got to be needing a better than stock clutch???i got the 22re with a 20r clutch in it, no difference between all the 4 cyl clutches.ive also never had any troubles with the clutch either, just the master and slave cyl. just a thought, stock is most likely good enough....its lasted how long now???will you own the vehicle for longer than it took for the oem clutch to wear out?just figure money would be better spent elsewhere, like superbirfs,lockers,header or gears?o yeah, '81 and got a stock aisin clutch

It's not what kind of power you have but rather how hard you are on it / how much wheelin' duty it will see. I wore out a stock clutch in under a year. Sounds like you don't get out too much..

------------------

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
My experience with stock clutches wasn't good either. They are easy to smoke out in a tricky off road situation. With the Centerforce DF you can smoke the heck out of it and as soon as it cools down it's back to normal. The other problem I had with stock clutches was having the springs blow off of the center of the clutch disc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmmm, not me....arent centerforce designed for high rpm?so maybe in mud huckin situations is the only time they see real use? i guess dual friction helps but it sure hogs out the flywheel fast when the ceramic material slips. same material i see on dual plate off highway stuff, hard to feather too

------------------
'81 yota, bobbed flt dck,22re,marlin,5.29,coils,locked and more

·
1,269 Posts
That's because Centerforces like to be either ON or OFF.

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
they rule
well worth the money
due the fly wheel to if you put in the clutch ,dont cheep out,get the most out of it as you can,phone around for a price tho,cuz they arnt cheep,the states has a clutch that is just like center force and is a bit better but harder to get, i forget the name of it

Originally posted by rockjock:
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with centreforce clutches. Are they any better than, say, a heavy duty clutch? Any input would be great.

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts