BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have some input? I'm debating between TJ Coil spacers or the 3" Body.
Which would be the better choice?

------------------
89' Tracker

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well it really depends on you. If your going to put bigger tires on or for looks or what. Two things that you have to look at if you put a 3" body lift your suspension will still be the same ground clearance, but if you put 31's on you will get about 1-1.5" more from stock. Now if you put spring spacer on you will get about 2" more ground (I'm pretty sure thats as tall as they come in) and you can still put larger tires and get a little more. So bottom line is that if you want more ground clearance or not.

Hope that helps

Wil

------------------
89 Tracker Custom 3" lift, 235/75/15 Mud Kings

[This message has been edited by Urban_offroad (edited March 22, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well, here is my 2 cents...There are usually two main reasons why people consider lifts:
1) looks
2) off road

Then there is the combination of the above, where there are usually compromises involved depends on how important the looks are to you versus off road capability multiplied by the amount showing in your checking account. If money was no object we would all be driving in the sweet-arrs looking rigs that also kick sweet-arrs on the trail.

Heading back down to reality: there are advantages and disadvantages of both: body and suspension lift.

1). Say… you are concerned with looks:
advantages of a body lift would be:
-cheap
-simple
-once installed, all major components of your vehicle remain unaffected, ie: drive-line angles (pronounce: driv-eline wear), steering angles, (pronounce: handling), alignment (pronounce: tire
wear) and so on…
-allows for a larger tire
disadvantages of a body lift would be:
-a chunk of your frame is showing ( not a clean look, but it could be fixed by adding a nice looking nurf bar

advantages of suspension lift:
-looks clean
disadvantages of suspension lift:
- usually expensive
- affects above mentioned: drive-line angles, steering angles, alignment

2). For Off-road use
advantages of a body lift would be:
-same as in looks
disadvantages of a body lift would be:
- does not improve ground clearance, other then as a result of a larger tire

advantages of suspension lift:
- adds ground clearance
- sometimes adds articulation
disadvantages of suspension lift:
-same as in looks

Bottom line: you have to chose what works for you. If you can’t decide – do both. If you think you made a wrong choice – you can always add the other choice LOL

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oh, ya. I'd recomend 2" body versus 3" on a Sidekick if you went with body.

------------------

G

·
I think No Limits (Reo) body lifts are 2.5" and are reasonably priced. I did the Calmini 3" body and I really need nerf bars to hide the frame. I'm also doing 1" coil spacers, and I think it's gonna be a perfect combo for my 31's. Cheap and affective.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey JC, are you still running your stock 5.13's with your 31s. I guess you do. How's your power on a highway, then? Have you done any engine or exhaust upgrades???

------------------

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I go with the coil spacers 1" 0r 2" And does any one know if you can fit 31's with either of them?

PS thanks for the input.

------------------
89' Tracker

G

·
Hey,
I have an auto tranny, so I ripped out the 463's and put in the 513's. It revs a little high on the freeway, but it's pretty spunky around town. No motor upgrades other than it's out of a '94. A header is suposed to make a world of difference... it's on the todo list.

G

·
Four Wheeler mag. says 2" suspension and minor fender trimming for 31x10'5. With the 3" body I had to trim my fenders to fit them.
I don't know how much actual lift you'd get from the 1" coils in the front.

·
Registered
229 Posts
JC is right, you need to do the gear swap if you want to be able to drive up a hill at speed. I am in the process of finding a set of 513's for my 4dr so I can run 31's with the Calmini 3" Suspension Lift. You can get away with 30's and no gear change but it is a dog on hills.

Hope all this helps.

------------------
91 4Dr KICK JLX
Calmini 3" Suspension Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
(Speed Kills! Let Me Drive And We Will Live Forever)
[email protected]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by JC BAZINET:
Four Wheeler mag. says 2" suspension and minor fender trimming for 31x10'5

What Month, year?

------------------
89' Tracker

·
Registered
49 Posts
A little off topic, I have the 89 5 speed... would mine have the 513's ?

Now back to topic. Like I said I have a custom 3" suspension and I run 235/75/15 (29's). I would Like the tires to be a bit wider but you have to get spacers if your going to run stock rims OR get the right offset mags. With that in mind, I find no problems with the tire size (up hill on the highway in the mud water... anywhere)

You still haven't told us if your looks or offroad??

Wil

------------------
89 Tracker Custom 3" lift, 235/75/15 Mud Kings

·
Registered
22 Posts
Slightly differently: 1" coil spacers or 1.5" springs ? (Mucho $$$).

------------------
swb Sidekick 16v

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mostly want to get as much ground clearance as possible, and I need new tires.
So I guess mostly for 4x4ing but looks are good too.

------------------
89' Tracker

G

·
Urban_offroad... ya 513's.
MRTracker... for ground clearance you'll want suspention with a larger tire.
With my body lift, I still drag my frame and under carrage over everything. Thats why I want the coil spacers to give me that extra bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JC BAZINET Do you work in Maple Ridge? I always see you driving by. I'm in a blue Tracker with a 4offrd sticker on the windshield.

------------------
89' Tracker

G

·
My girlfriend lives in MR.
I think you and my nephew have been out to Stave together... I was wondering what Tracker was yours. I'll watch for the sticker.
Later...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts