BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a G16A motor!
1.6L 16 Valve. Came with a sexy Calmini stainless header!

Probably gonna do a rebuild on it first. I got time, and my 1300 is running fine.
Any recommendations for an adapter and a rebuild kit? there is a couple out there, would love some feed back.
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But Why? ^

I just pulled the valve cover off. Cam looks to be in good shape.
Very little axil play on the crank.
Head does have some oil deposits and sludge inside but not to bad.

I just figure rebuild while its out. Tell me why I shouldn't!

Anyone have experience with any of the conversion kits?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Maybe you're a professional engine builder, but if you're not, the engine will never be as strong as before you touched it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay then,
I was going throughout all the included parts, and it seems that included steering box (not that I need it) has no power steering hook ups. Has anyone added the power steering pump from the 1.3 to the 16V? Oh and same goes for the A/C

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Like westcoaster said its all about factory tolerances. (Main & Rod bearings especially)

Besides, if it aint broke, don't fix it. lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I far as i Know it aint broke! I haven't seen it running!
But apparently is got about 180k on it, so I thought of re-ringing.
My 1.3 only has 74k on it. So I want the 16V to be somewhat fresh as well.
Have you guys and girls done the 1.6 swap?

·
Registered
730 Posts
if youre gonna rebuild a 1.6, its not good idea to just re ring and bearing it. hoops and shells will get you along for a little ways, but being that the hoops have very low spring tension, they dont seat to the old cylinder walls well, causing oil consumption. if youre gonna do it, have it done right with all machinework done to exact tolerances. suzuki engines are not the realm of a bottle brush hone and a flat of beer. they can be rebuilt sucessfully, i have done a few, they just have to be machined properly. just like a honda. or any small displacement import engine.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Has Marv done them?

Interesting.

if youre gonna rebuild a 1.6, its not good idea to just re ring and bearing it. hoops and shells will get you along for a little ways, but being that the hoops have very low spring tension, they dont seat to the old cylinder walls well, causing oil consumption. if youre gonna do it, have it done right with all machinework done to exact tolerances. suzuki engines are not the realm of a bottle brush hone and a flat of beer. they can be rebuilt sucessfully, i have done a few, they just have to be machined properly. just like a honda. or any small displacement import engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input girls and guys! Its going to be a autumn project for me.
...along with locker and T-case gears!!!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
if you want to rebuild a motor, sell that one to me, and i'll give you my old one..needs a wrist pin and goes through a little oil.

ps can be heard running ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts