BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we haven't had much luck hooking up with anybody to do some wheeling, so me and the missus will just have to try it on our own. Thinking of heading to the boundary area, maybe farther. Time for this farmer to go exploring. Any other takers??? Campin and the hole bit.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hay i am back from NB, just about 4 days ago... what part are you thinking about exploring?? want to hit pheonix with a few of us? explore city of paris and lots of mines? tell me what ya think and we can finally get some wheelin in!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've got mail!:D

G

·
Where abouts are you going to be? Parnelli and I will be meeting up on Tuesday, July 30th to explore the Phoenix minesite so perhaps we can all get together then if you are still in the area.

·
Registered
920 Posts
hehe sorry newtoyo, i tried that already, he has to head back for the long weekend unfortunately but at least we can scout out some good spots that newtoyo and i can hit on tuesday. Find any places to meet yet newtoyo?

G

·
Hey Parnelli. I'll try for the Overweightea store on Tues I suppose. Should be easy to spot. What time is good for you?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Overweighty is the center of the town pretty much, right on the main drag. You set the time as its your trip. I will be in christina lake overnight monday so i will only be 30 mins away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Man when i lived backin the kootenays it was impossible to find people to wheel with.......... Now there are guys going all the time,or so it seems. Anyways if you guys have enough time you should check out Ft. Shepherd. Nice wheeling down there, not a lot of mud, but lots of sand and steep hills. As in 4lo first gear barely sticking on the hill.

·
Registered
920 Posts
AHHH i forgot about ft. shephard!!! oh well we had a great time up pheonix for the whole day, found probably around 10 mines or so, none were really large but they were still more then worth the trip! never ran into the city of paris though.... need a GPS!! Anyone else attempting anything around this area needs to bring a spare air filter with em and lots of wipes for the interior... even a dust mask would work!! :******* there is soo much silty dust crap there now that its hard to navigate even with just 2 trucks! oh well, i'll let hay tell his side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yep, for all those who read this... Pheonix is surely an outstanding place to explore!!! Any of you going up there this coming week, definitely bring an extra air cleaner. Very dry and very dusty. Just a few things to mention. The Backroads Mapbook is not exactly on the money with respect to some of the roads. City of Paris road is DEFINITELY NOT where the mapbook indicates. It clearly shows that the road does begin off Gibbs Creek FSR (on the Grand Forks side) but where is beyond the both of us (and we definitely spent some time searching). I would recommend those of you looking for the City of Paris, follow Greg S's story (you will find this excellent writeup on his website) and follow the group's same route.
Parnelli, my gut tells me that we were right under Paris's nose, and we just didn't look hard enough... LOL By the way, thanks for an excellent weekend!!! And thanks for sparing that loaf of bread. Heh heh I'm on a mission now to find that place. I was so itchin, that I wanted to try again today for a few hours! Good luck to those of you heading up Phoenix this coming week. Totally worth it!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
ohh i have the same feeling about city of paris... But after i left in the am i went down greenwood way, then up that right turn with the yield sign 3/4 way down to greenwood on hartley pheonix rd. I explored up there for about an hour and all i ran into was a covered mine all roped off, some CORE samples of which were used to find out where the money was in the ground (i can send some pics if ya want) and i gave my nice KC cover a big rip right down the center when a pointy stick went through it and into the light. i crossed a few gates (checked b4 i went over) and it just did a big circle right back where i started. what i wanted was to get to the top where those radio towers are and look down onto the open pit lake. next time. loved every minute of the trip, still coughin dust though and so is the airfilter. i'll send ya an email, find any 30x9.5x15 xts for me yet?? :clown

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
hay said:
I would recommend those of you looking for the City of Paris, follow Greg W's story (you will find this excellent writeup on his website) and follow the group's same route.
FYI, that's Greg Sue, not Greg W (aka Greg Wcislo).

Thanks for your info on Hay, no we're even more eager to begin our trip to Greenwood this long weekend. :beer

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops! Sorry for the mistake, I meant to make it an S, and musta hit W. My bad. Credit should be given where credit is due. Lars and gang, I wish that I could join your convoy this coming weekend, however, the outlaws are comin to town, leaving me to play host. Have a great time up there, and keep those eyes peeled to the forest. There is quite a bit hiding there amognst the trees. Phoenix Mountain will definitely be a place that I will visit more than once.

·
Registered
920 Posts
YEE HAWW, haha i went up pheonix today HAY and grabbed a hold of a GPS from my S&R group, we were RIGHT UNDERNEATH the city of paris man!!! You remember the road we were on that lead down to the gold mine operation with the big white sign saying britania gold corp and it was a gated road?? well when we drove past that there was a road on the LEFT that was covered in underbrush and crap that leads right into the COP's camp. there is a crap load of core sample, i came out with 12 hunks of rock containing traces of gold! there are tons of boxes full of core samples, wayyy too many to look at. We were so very close to so many mines it isnt even funny! :laugh oh well, i have all the COORDs i need for the GPS so next time we can see something worth it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bugger! I kinda figured we musta been close. So how does another ride out there sound to you? Next weekend perhaps?

·
Registered
920 Posts
lets see, you could skip seeing the outlaws to come down and hook up with lars and the rest... :p but really i am busy on the 10-11 of august up wheeling with the off camber group. other then that weekend i should be ok

1 - 16 of 16 Posts