BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much time for my rusted short box to remove tholse screws look easy to strip.

------------------
1983 yota bondo job 6'trail master lift, short box, lotsa lights, good frame! 35" dunlops...want 33' muds
Gotta Love Standing on the back bumper!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
if your luckey you can break them all , much easier then undoing them . I just removed an /81 and it took me about an hour . only three bolts broke out of the eight .
good luck.

------------------
is that u up there :)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1738

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't forget the three bolts holding the gas tank filler on.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by MEK:
Don't forget the three bolts holding the gas tank filler on.

You mean those little phillips head bolts

I hate those....I had to grind mine and hit them with the BFH.....I am so glad to be rid of those.....replaced by nice stainless button head bolts

I was also unlucky and only two bolts broke and the rest were tight the whole way off....I made it easier for my self by cutting access holes on the floor of the box...I would not suggest this unless you are not planning on using that box again.

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited February 28, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Ty Mega:
how much time for my rusted short box to remove tholse screws look easy to strip.
If you're talking about the bolts that hold the box on underneath with the little tab on top, make sure you don't bend the tab, and start soaking them with stuff right now if you want to do it soon. I bent 5 of the tabs, completely broke 1, and said screw it and torched them.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help it wasnt too ba d only broke 4 lol

------------------
1983 yota bondo job 6'trail master lift, short box, lotsa lights, good frame! 35" dunlops...want 33' muds
Gotta Love Standing on the back bumper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you plan on taking the box right off. I found an engine hoist saves time and excessive damage to the bottom of the box. Just get two sinch straps criss crossing each other. Push the hoist in from the rear connect the hook where the two straps intersect (if your truck is lifted make the boom is out all the way. Jack it up till your clear of the tires. Jump in the truck drive out. Don't forget to do a few peel outs while the box is off!

·
Registered
34 Posts
do you plan on re-using the box???if not they slide right off the back...did it myself and then mounted the bumper up on the frame...increased my rear aproach angle huge...then made a flat deck to fit...seen guys short'n the box too...

------------------
82 toyota,3"body lift,7"spring lift,full size dana 44 front,12 bolt-stock locker rear,35"tires,custom everything...

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Toys R Rusty:
If you plan on taking the box right off. I found an engine hoist saves time and excessive damage to the bottom of the box. Just get two sinch straps criss crossing each other. Push the hoist in from the rear connect the hook where the two straps intersect (if your truck is lifted make the boom is out all the way. Jack it up till your clear of the tires. Jump in the truck drive out. Don't forget to do a few peel outs while the box is off!
Me and my buddy lifted mine off and onto some saw horses. Took all of 30 seconds.

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
All I was saying is that it takes two people to lift a box, full of tools, with a roll bar, so why bother wasting time with an engine hoist? Then again if you're working by yourself I can see how problems could occur trying to remove the box without a hoist.

------------------

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
mmm boxless burnouts.....
cough, cough, oh that smoke hurts my lungs

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

1 - 15 of 15 Posts