BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can tell me what to do with the bar that attaches to my rear axle and goes up to the proportioning valve(?)on the passenger side of the frame? Ive installed a 4 inch lift and im wondering if i should bend that rod down and hook it up or if i should lengthen it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I know what you are talking about it is the rod that attaches to a boot on the drivers side of the pumpkin. I believe it is used to adjust the braking capcity with more load in the back end. My boot riped, and it was rusted in the fully open state so I just cut it and took off the adjuster on the axle.

------------------
When in doubt, gas it out

·
Registered
802 Posts
That rod is attached to the load-sensing proportioning valve (LSPV). When you are loaded, the back of the truck is positioned lower wrt the ground, and the rod angle changes, which tells the LSPV to apply more braking force to the rear brakes.

It then follows that if you lift your truck, the LSPV will think that you have less load, and will then reduce the amount of braking force to the rear brakes. You can build a simple bracket out of flat that will space the rod up a couple of inches, which will return the LSPV to it's stock configuration.
Some people actually disconnect it altogether and tie it up; this provides a lot of braking to the rear but shouldn't be necessary unless your brakes have another problem, and if done could apply too much braking power to the rear, which could result in loss of control as your rear end passes your front end during a panic stop.

Remember, most of your braking is supposed to occur in the front brakes.

One other thing, when you bleed your brakes, you also have to bleed the LSPV.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts