BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While attempting to remove the front spring hangers on my CJ7 frame I broke one of the bolts. On the next one the nut was spinning inside the frame so I just cut off the bolt head and the remaining piece of bolt and the nut disappeared into the frame leaving a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the frame.

For the broken bolt I will attempt to drill out the bolt and retap the nut.

For the missing nut, should I cut an access hole on the inside of the frame underneath the front crossmember and slip in a new nut welded to a plate and tack it in there? Or would it be better to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame rail about the size of the nut and weld it in place flush with the bottom of the frame? I want to avoid weakening the frame.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by KO:
For the missing nut, should I cut an access hole on the inside of the frame underneath the front crossmember and slip in a new nut welded to a plate and tack it in there? Or would it be better to drill a hole in the bottom of the frame rail about the size of the nut and weld it in place flush with the bottom of the frame? I want to avoid weakening the frame.
Given how poorly I weld upside down, I would opt for cutting a hole through the side of the frame (from the inside so it's not visible from the outside) and inserting the nut + plate. Also tack the plate in place so it doesn't slide down the frame if you have to remove the bolt in the future. Then patch the hole you cut with a steel plate and some nice, strong welds.

If you can fit on in there, a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade would make a nice clean hole. Either that or use a big hole saw.

You can also use large nutserts but I don't know what their strength-rating is.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
BTDT. I opted to use the existing hole in the frame to fish a new bolt into place.

Here's what I did..
- Take a rectangular piece of flat bar and drilled a hole it it for the bolt
- Weld the bolt head ot the flat stock.
- Take a short, thin, stiff piece of wire and poke one end of the wire through the bolt hole. Work it until it sticks out the hole in the side of the frame.
- Wrap the wire around the end of the bolt and drag it through the frame and out the hole.

Now you've got a bolt that won't spin in the frame and you haven't made swiss cheese out of your frame rail. You also don't need to worry about torching your gas tank

------------------
Jon B.
'82 CJ7 Some mods (Hers)
'82 CJ7 More mods (His)
'02 Chev 3500 LT D/A

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info Guys, unfortunately for me all 3 of the welded in nuts have disappeared on the front spring hanger/steering box mount. There isn't a hole big enough to feed in a bolt with a plate to stop it from spinning so I may have to use Larry's suggestion and cut a hole on the inside under the front crossmember.

If I cut a hole is it better to make a round or oval hole rather than a square hole? I'm hoping to fit in some flat bar with all 3 nuts attached then I'll just have to tack it in the middle.

I forgot to mention I'm working with a bare frame so I won't have to work underneath the jeep.

[This message has been edited by KO (edited March 14, 2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts