BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an AOD transmission into an Early Bronco? Looking for some suggestions on a clean installation of the transmission and transfere case shifters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a buddy who works in a tranny shop.Aod junk...e4od only slightly better.c6 if you need and auto.My e4od has problems and when it goes it's manual time.

------------------
93bronco

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by toque:
Has anyone installed an AOD transmission into an Early Bronco? Looking for some suggestions on a clean installation of the transmission and transfere case shifters.
Pretty simple really, cut where you need, and to be clean, cover the tunnel with a piece of aluminum, diamond plate if you like. Use a cable shifter from a Rustang. cheap and effective. I mounted mine (similar, for my C4) on a ~6" tower to put it at the right height.
The AOD CAN be built plenty strong, its just expensive to do. After working out everything I wanted to do to put an AOD in my EB, the total came out around $6000. I put in a $50 NP435 instead LOL! If its not for hard core towing or offroading, a stock rebuild with lots of big coolers should work great.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
276 Posts
How about an auto trans from a '92 F350 with a 460, would that be strong enough for an early Bronco with 39 1/2" Boggers, D60's,and a FI 5.8L?

I was thinking of using this trans, but I don't know what kind of trans it would be, does anyone know?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it a 3 or 4 speed auto. I think it would be an e40d if it was a 4 and a C6 if it is a 3 speed. I think they stopped using the C6 in 91 though. If it can back up a 460 it will be plenty powerful to handle a 351, just not sure how easy it will bolt up.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Broncomania:
How about an auto trans from a '92 F350 with a 460, would that be strong enough for an early Bronco with 39 1/2" Boggers, D60's,and a FI 5.8L?

I was thinking of using this trans, but I don't know what kind of trans it would be, does anyone know?
With 39.5's, I'd build a C6 for it. strongest, cheapest. OD is a waste with tires that big. You can't get enough low end grunt from a small block to use it often, and any reasonable diff ratio will make it pointless anyway. A big block bellhousing won't fit your 5.8, so what you have is probably good as a trade in on a windsor pattern C6...
Also, with 39.5's, I hope you got a 60 up front!

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

[This message has been edited by Captain Air Time (edited December 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was going to use an aluminum adapter plate to mate the auto (4speed) to the small block.

Bellhousing adapters are common in drag racing so it shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

I have HP D60's front and rear so the axles should handle it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
auto trans and whatever else ya need from a 302 81 broco.. even have motor

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts