BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has a 89 bronco with the 8.8 rear diff, wants to swap a 9 inch in, my questions are: is this a straight bolt in?...does the drive shaft bolt to the 9 inch diff?...also i am almost postive he has rear abs, this obviously won't work with the 9 inch, what do you do with it?....just turn it off or???
thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think that 85 was the last year for the 9" and it was not available for the full model year. Correct me if I am wrong but '85 is pre-RABS. If he unplugs it the brakes will still work but the RABS light will stay on. Unplugging the light or a piece of black tape should take care of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did this exact swap in my 90 F150 4x4 as I bent the 8.8 to the point where the gears in the diff where chewin each other up. Called Steve's Ford Parts here in Calgary and he had a complete unit with exact gear ratio as my fronts (3.55) and a traction lock to boot. I left the ABS plug dangling on the frame which has the dash light on all the time , bothers everyone else who gets in the truck but not me! Just tell them the truck has no back brakes at all!!!!

------------------
bog til you're broke
(if you can afford it)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did this exact swap in my 90 F150 4x4 as I bent the 8.8 to the point where the gears in the diff where chewin each other up. Called Steve's Ford Parts here in Calgary and he had a complete unit with exact gear ratio as my fronts (3.55) and a traction lock to boot. I left the ABS plug dangling on the frame which has the dash light on all the time , bothers everyone else who gets in the truck but not me! Just tell them the truck has no back brakes at all!!!!

It was a straight across swap except for the plug but who cares for ABS, thats a yuppie SUV thing!!

------------------
bog til you're broke
(if you can afford it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
or leslie, you can be like me. just ignore the weird grinding noises every time you hit the brakes, then after a while go to check 'em, and your drums won't even come off. i can truely say i have NO back brakes lol. only way i can even afford to drive like that is gearing down and using the front brakes hehehe (front brakes are new)

------------------
email: [email protected]erangerstation.com
'87 Ranger s/c, 2wd, 30x9.50R15 ATs, soon to be 4.56 locked, loves to travel anywhere possible at the slightest mention of it. BORN BLUE! DIE BLUE!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i should say though, refering to my last post, i am a responsible driver *snort, laugh*, and i drive calmly, however the reason i haven't bothered is due to the fact my rearend's shot anyways, clunking, and all the seals leak. i'm not bothering to put brand new brakes on a dead rearend when i have another one kicking around with decent brakes. i'm just too lazy to swap rearends.

------------------
email: [email protected]
'87 Ranger s/c, 2wd, 30x9.50R15 ATs, soon to be 4.56 locked, loves to travel anywhere possible at the slightest mention of it. BORN BLUE! DIE BLUE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.