BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Bronco, full size, 351.
When just starting up from a dead stop, I feel a vibration/grinding from somewhere under the Bronco. I've checked the driveshaft and replaced the rear u-joint; also checked the diff. and replaced the gear oil - seems OK. After passing 5 mph, the grinding stops and never shows up until the next time starting from a stop. It seems to be worse when making a turn from a stop. I don't feel it in the steering wheel and it doesn't happen every time...
Any help would be appreciated.

thnx in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check and make sure your tranny and everything is nice and tight. Also check your wedges in the rear end. I have heard similar stories when they are trying to fall out. also it wouldn't hurt to have your tires checked for balance. That is all I can think of hope it helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I checked the brakes, tranny and wedges - all seem in order.
I spent a bit of time driving very slow to try and reproduce the problem - here goes...
- the grinding vibration (no sound) occurs only at a very low speed (< 5 mph).
- it does not occur if I drive perfectly straight.
- if DOES occur consistently if I turn my wheels either left or right
- the vibration come right through the drivers seat/passenger seat.

I suspect that "something" is wrong with the front and not the rear drivetrain - possibly bearings? What sort of checks can I do myself at home?

thnx

·
Registered
155 Posts
What kind of tires are you running?My swampers vibrate the whole truck.Even more so when turning because of the side lugs.

------------------
93bronco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just regular 31x10.5. I also need new tires, so the tread is quite low. It's definitely a "grinding" feeling, like bad bearings.... (?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
just take it to a shop, they will road test it for you and most likely figure it out, i am not sure if you have a berts automotive where you are, but thats where i go all the time, they are really good about it and no charge for free advice...good luck

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 60's f&r, 38 swampers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts