BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing the drivetrain in my 79.
Which engine is better,300,302 or 351W.
It has 351M now but have both small and large bellhousing automatics but I may go NP435 trans.I'm running 33" generals and 3.50 gears but want 4.10's

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,351M-300 soon

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you have to make a choice go with the Windsor.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Same here. If i was keeping my bronco. I would do the same thing.

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by KEV:
if you can find one , get a 351c or better yet a 429.
You going to listen to Ford guys or someone from "Samuraiville"

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I'd put a 300 six in it just to be different.

But if you want a good performer for relatively cheap get the Windsor.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey fearme just to set things straight .I own a 91ranger and a 81 bronco.And I think my samurai is a much better 4x

------------------
Coils goin under!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey Dan how'd the springs wok out?

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,351M-300 soon

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by KEV:
Hey fearme just to set things straight .I own a 91ranger and a 81 bronco.And I think my samurai is a much better 4x4
And a Sammi is a much better 4x4 than a 91 Ranger or an 81 Bronco.

------------------

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I just got the springs back from the spring shop last friday, but I've been in rough shape all week from a snowmobile incident two weeks ago to go work on it and see if the new springs hold the truck up.

Boy if they arent right this time they're gonna end up under my engine stand and coils and a four link are going in the rear.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

·
Registered
76 Posts
429 or 460 will get you better mileage and alot more power than your 351m and will bolt in with minor mods

do not, i repeat do not put a 351c in your truck unless you are going racing...this is a high rpm motor, you need a low revving torque motor not the high rpm horsepower from a cleveland
i had a 4 bolt main 4 bbl head cleveland in my 77 f250 and it was just not up to the task, if you revved it and let the clutch drop and let er fly it went well in the mud, but rock crawling ,low torque and low rpm the cleveland is not a good motor, throw the cleveland in your stang and kick some ass

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 60's f&r, 38 swampers

·
Registered
76 Posts
and yes go the windsor for sure, great motor!...but lots of work to swap, easiest way is another 351m,400 and then a 429 460 swap...anything else you need a few new parts...lol....and there is no such thing as sammy better than any ford ever made

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 60's f&r, 38 swampers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts