BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 Bronco and every time i try to fill it up the gas overflows at about 1/4 tank unless i pump the gas REEEEEAAAAAALLLYY slow, does anyone have this problem or know how to fix it. thanks!

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Registered
302 Posts
welcome to Bronco's ... the way I do it is to put the nozzle in at an angle from the rear of the truck ... you want to get the gas to swirl in the filler tube ... put the end of the nozzle against the inside of the tube (about 4" in) and lift up to the rear as far as she'll go without removing the nozzle. hard to explain the trick but it's easy once you figure it out ... start slow and gradually speed up (to prevent a gas soaker if you aim wrong) the only way to fix this would be to add a vent tube into the tank (it doesn't have one ... beautiful factory design
)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My 98 explorer does the same thing sometimes but I don't spill as much fuel but it does get anoying, why doesn't the pump kick out when it is full....silly fords!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
some have the vent tube inside the filler. They impede gas filling. Im no Ford engineer but if you want liquid into something why cork it half off? Just a thought, find one with the vent line seperate. I've never had a problem filling my 79. Good thing too with that tank the gas station would start charging rent

------------------
79 Bronco,no tires, 4"coils & re drilled mounts,shackle reversal soon to get D60/4.11 & matching gears for front

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RockFrog, I'll try that next time i don't wanna bother installing a breather, the trucks a peice of sh*t anyways, i only use it to run stuff over.

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeah I know th drill ... I drive an 81 Bronco myself ... I think this problem was the worst in the 80-84 crowd.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I own a CJ(yes its not a ford I know) and I have the same problem, the tube narrows a bit in mine and that causes it to fly back out and stop the pump. I have had gas all over my shoes many times now. It seems to be a problem with almost all older vehicles.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts