BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm new to the board and have a few questions. Any help would be appreciated. I currently have a 91 ranger, with a body lift, spacers and 32s (I usually hang out at rrorc.com). But I'm thinking of moving up to a full size to fit the woman and kids. Anyways, I was thinking about trying to find a 78-79 bronco frame amd swapping a late model (late 80s-early 90s) bronco body onto it. Has anybody ever thought about or done this? I figured it would make lifting it easier with the straight axle and make it easier to swap in a 460 down the road if I decide to go that route. The only thing that concerns me is the body mounts. Any ideas? Thanks, NateS

------------------
My Rig

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What is wrong with old 78-79 body style, I dont think the body mounts will be in the same locations. If you move all the body mounts then you will be cutting and welding, and heat buildup on a frame may weaken it if it is done incorrectly. I bought my 78 bronco for $1000 and the only problem that I have found is the rear drive shaft slip yoke needs some TLC. If not buy the late model bronco and swap the solid axle into it. But dont dececrate a classic fullsize truck. It will hold its resale value if you keep the original body, and the style of the body is the only difference. In my opinion late model vehicles are not built as strong, and you can swap the 460 into a 78-79 ford bronco with a C6 no problem, bell housing should mate up. But I could be wrong. Just sounds like way too much work!!!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Easier than butchering body mounts, build subframe out of 2x2 sqare tube that will support your roll cage and body mounts, and mount directly to the factory frame mounts. Instant 2" body lift into the bargain, and a really stout cage support. I would keep the classic body tho... maybe even get 'glass, I've seen 'em advertised in the eastern states.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Find a good 78-79 and KEEP IT THAT WAY. They are a nice body style IMO. And the whole thing is stronger. You can stuff a 460 in that cavern with no problem.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a smartassed punk----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Captain Air Time:
Easier than butchering body mounts, build subframe out of 2x2 sqare tube that will support your roll cage and body mounts, and mount directly to the factory frame mounts. Instant 2" body lift into the bargain, and a really stout cage support. I would keep the classic body tho... maybe even get 'glass, I've seen 'em advertised in the eastern states.

I like that idea of a subframe. I hadn't even thought about that. the reason I want a 78-79 frame is for the straight axle and the ease of swapping in a 460. The reason I want a late model body is for looks and condition. I live in michigan and you would be hard pressed to find a decent 78-79 body for a reasonable price. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. NateS

------------------
My Rig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts