BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has recently finished his monster bronco (with a good old chev 350). He's put a huge lift in it and is running 33's (I think). Anyhow, his problem is that it has a major steering shake over 50kms. Maybe even before that. He can't get it up to speed on the highway it shakes so badly.
He'd appreciate any ideas of why, and how to fix the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try to have allignment done. my brothers truck has a bit of lift n 33's he had a bad shake, dual steering stabilizers and an allignment later and its gone away.

------------------
GRASSHOPPER

CHEVY THE HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA NEEDS A PACEMAKER

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check all the front end bushing's and tie rod ends and make sure the trac arm is tight on both ends (the biggest culpret). The mount to the frame for the track arm might be loose. Use a good steering stabilizer and if the tires are not balanced he will never keep it on the road.

------------------
Professional Cheese Taster with the ability to satisfy many fine women at the same time----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I think I saw pics of that bronco on the island4x4 list? If that is the one it's quite the cool truck...back to the question though...I don't have too many answers other than it sure can be a pain in the butt. I had a horrible death wobble on my old Toyota and a bent rim was realllly making the problem worse. The oscillation of the rim was causing some other problems to turn into major death shake. With a straight rim the truck became somewhat normal again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's the truck. I know he has new rims so that's not it. Tires are balanced, this is something more major than that. Think about it, it's never a cheap fix with 4x4's gotta be the many parts/money route!!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Check the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame, and check the frame for cracks in that area.

This is a common problem for us 'binder drivers.

------------------
Be alert!

Your country needs lerts!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by crazy_chevy_chick:
Yes, that's the truck. I know he has new rims so that's not it. Tires are balanced, this is something more major than that. Think about it, it's never a cheap fix with 4x4's gotta be the many parts/money route!!
Dave Lippmann had a similar problem in his early Bronco. New tires and rims didn't eliminate the problem. Then he bought some of those balancing rings that bolt between the wheels and the drum/rotors. Problem solved. Unfortunately, your last sentence applies here...those balancing rings were expensive!

...lars (no, I can't recall the exact price)

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires are brand new and he tried putting them on another truck that he has and they work fine. When I told him of the replies posted he thinks it has to do with the steering arm thingy. Thanks alot for all the help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
all i can say is TRACK BAR BUSHINGS.
I had this problem and thats what it was.
have someone rock the steering wheel and look for the axle movement from side to side

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a problem similar to this. If too many modifications were made you should still have a stabilizer shock in the front. Most shops will check this for free and tell you if it is bad or not. They are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Something else to check would be the caster angle. You mention a large lift. If it's one of the older, straight-axle Broncos, this can usually be fixed with the right set of C-bushings.

------------------
--C.J. Ford
http://cjford.stormloader.com
1984 Bronco -- The Daily Driver
1985 CJ-7 -- The Project
1996 Thunderbird -- The "Other Vehicle"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts