BC 4x4 Forums banner

Budjet 16v 1.6l Turbo Project

13K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  ANDYrew 
#1 ·
Sorry about the ****ty pics. All I had was my phone, didn't think to bring camera. Here's the start exhaust manifold:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the proto type for my brother in laws 4 door tracker. If all works mine will get the same treatment. Here's the plan: stock turbo from Nissan Skyline (other brother in law up graded to bigger turbo for more boost) cause it was free, all flanges burned on a plasma table from stainless, fabricated exhaust manifold with stainless elbows and ts, intake tubing to be stainless (all scrap from shop), water injection system (off e-bay), drill and tap oil pan for turbo oiler, buy boost gauge, no electronics needed, no injectors, run 5-6 psi boost, get about 50% horsepower gains and start boosting around 4k rpm.
This is not my project, we hope to be finished by March. Next time I'll bring my good camera.

#5 ·
What are you going to do for fuel?? What type of Engine Management System?? I am doing a 1.6L 8v turbo project, using a t25 from a SR20det. Nice exhaust mani, thing is bling. :beer

#6 ·
Wicked idea but if you don't mind me asking, why such a large turbo which would only spool up over 4000 rpm? You'd be constantly fighting turbo lag and may seem counter productive for daily use. Just curious! Yeah, and whoever's doing the welding definately isn't "backyard" :D Looks cool

#9 ·
:eek:

Have fun with that. Prepare to run into nothing but problems. You can't run a closed fuel loop on a turbo charged vehicle. Using anything to control the timing??

#8 ·
Wicked idea but if you don't mind me asking, why such a large turbo which would only spool up over 4000 rpm? You'd be constantly fighting turbo lag and may seem counter productive for daily use. Just curious! Yeah, and whoever's doing the welding definately isn't "backyard" Looks cool
Thanks, I'm pretty excited, i was wondering how I was going to get some wheel speed on my tracker for mud and hill climbs and if this works' I'll have it.

It's a budget build, the turbo was laying around and without an intercooler it should minimize lag. If it works, I'll find something more appropriate, phisically it already looks like a tight fit, smaller would be better.

It helps when your brother in law is a fabricator with access to pretty much all tools.

#10 ·
Have fun with that. Prepare to run into nothing but problems. You can't run a closed fuel loop on a turbo charged vehicle. Using anything to control the timing??
Like I said this is not my project and by no means am I a turbo guru. If it weren't for 150:1 gear ratios I would have no interest in turbos because the power range is too high. My brother in law has a 12 second car and has done all the research on this project. From what I'm told the stand alone water/methanol injection system will handle these problems also aiding in control of pre ignition. I will post more details once i myself fully understand everything.:beer

#11 ·
another plus of water meth injection besides lower combustion temps is more horsepower. one of the engine I've worked on saw a 10% increase in HP just from water meth alone.

#12 ·
Turbo only or can you run this system on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine? Basically all you're using this for is increasing compression and the methanol to burn the fuel more efficiently, no?

Yup, I understand using the turbo because it's sitting there collecting dust but if the cam and turbo are matched properly there theoretically should be damn near no turbo lag if done right, and it should definately help with bottom end torque as the turbo will cause much needed restriction for the grunt torque then spool as the motor turns faster and builds HP (hence why diesels love them). Very interesting project, and I believe Redwingfan (Matt) is considering starting a turbo swap on a 1.3L DOHC as well. LR

#13 ·
Probly more of a dream but what I was considering:

DOHC 1.3 bottome end, heard they're built pretty well,
8v head, I konw the dohc is where the powers at but Im thinkin low end power
Still not sure, Carb or EFI, EFI'd probly be easier in the end but carb is whats there now.

Probly be along time away cause I got another project on the go.

Later

Matt

#17 ·
got information go to www.teamswift.net look up turbo/nitro read what those guys runs on Suzuki 3 ,4 clyinders on turbo . if you dont run it right it wont work. Jadamunth (www.turbinetech.ca) on Team Swift is the turbo guy

I searched 1.6 L turbo on the swift site ( swift site recommended from crawlinbc) and found some info, but nothing with water injection. I'll have to browse turbine tech, thanks for the link.:)

Edit: I read Jardamunth's thread on Pirate, his winter sleeper build, very cool, just not the same.

#18 · (Edited)
I put a Turbo on my CRx, I use a small IHI turbo in my car. I've managed to hit a 13.5 at Mission with it... fully build and tuned by me...

Full boost by 2500-3000 rmps.. pulls hard all the way to the 7500 redline..

Got it from a Mazda 626, 2.0 litre from pick a part for $50 bucks....

You gonna go with a FMU and check valves for fuel management? Or run it carbed boosteD? or do you have some other sort of fuel management for this?

#19 ·
You gonna go with a FMU and check valves for fuel management? Or run it carbed boosteD? or do you have some other sort of fuel management for this?
The Last: No fuel management, just water/meth injection, kinda like an additional infector controller.

The Last: Under wide open throtle all fuel injected vehicles are open loop.

Turbo only or can you run this system on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine? Basically all you're using this for is increasing compression and the methanol to burn the fuel more efficiently, no?
The Last: Yes, but you need high compression to get results.

#22 ·
The Last: No fuel management, just water/meth injection, kinda like an additional infector controller.
The Last: Under wide open throtle all fuel injected vehicles are open loop.
The Last: Yes, but you need high compression to get results.

I think you should set the truck up EFI, use check valves and spend the $100 bucks and do a FMU system.. as for the timing, I think MSD has something for that..., then it should be a headace free system for years to come with a low boost application.

#21 ·
I wouldn't call it frankenstein.. it just has a bigger stroke to it over the 1.3.. and when I got the truck it didn't come complete.. except the frame, with the Sj axles and sj t-case, and sammy body wasn't complete, and the wiring was a headace, since all the wiring was SJ. I had to hunt down everythign else for it... motor, sammy tranny, shafts, ecm, and lots of stuff I had to make, like I made the bumpers, body lift, engine bay wiring harness, fuse box...

as for the leaves, I belive there stock rears, and fronts from a Samurai.

#26 ·
You need a way to control your timing when hitting .01psi of pressure. As well you need a way to manage the amount of fuel goes into the system. Methanol is not an adequate way of controling this, methanol reduces intake temperature and has a very high octane reading, having a higher octane keeps knock down. knock is a way that a sensor reads detonation in the engine, it will retard the timing as knock levels increase, that = less powa and possibly major detonation in the piston.

I suggest spending the $300 for a megasquirt system to manage your fuel curves and get a MSD Boost Timing Master and properly set it up for least amount of money as possible. When you start replacing melted pistons and screwed up engine parts, the extra few hundred dollars doesn't seem that bad.

Also remember that when wheeling you decrease and increase your ambient pressure which in turn will have changes to the way your engine recieves the proper amount of fuel.

:beer_cheers:

#33 ·
Well I'm glad this has attracted so much interest.:) , maybe it'll be motivation to finish sooner. I see my brother in law evey week for sunday lunch, I'll let him read this and respond. I do know long terms plans are for some sort of stand alone control and for more hp, but this is all the budjet will allow for now.

Hey Jerrod, yeah I'm confused or yeah you bought Jeffs junk?

#42 ·
thats odd because I know quit a few guys that have turbod ka24e (nissan) and all they did was add a SAFCII and back the timing off about 5 drgies at 10psi and run mid 13 sec 1/4 miles all day long no need for standalone to retard it on a progressive basis. all so the water meth injection there are guys with street bikes 13:1 compression and turbo to 15 psi on a stock timing map the water meth stops all the knock it is like runnung 120 octain fuel so ower little 6 psi turbo project should do just fine we will problem end up backing off the bass timing about 3 or 4 drges if it knocks

#44 ·
SAFCII is a fuel management system, but its just a piggy back, and that little unit is the same price as a whole megasquirt standalone. You can't get the safcii to run on our ECU's, we dont have all the proper sensors. Thats why I am saying get a standalone, cause it comes with proper sensors and ****. Meth would work great for drag racers....

last time I checked wheeling is not drag racing. And buying c16 race fuel everytime you go out wheeling can get quite pricey. :beer

#45 ·
...last time I checked wheeling is not drag racing... :beer
Exactly what I'm saying and I know it's done everyday with low boost set-ups and retarded base timing (I know that didn't sound all that "PC" but you know what I mean). I'm not saying you aren't right for optimal performance and reliability just that if he were to set this up and run it as described it would not detonate to catostrophic failure the instant he turns it over (hence my pessimistic comment). I've known many honda motors to run this way faithfully for years without internal failures despite the owners' (plural) best efforts to get it to do so. In fact one has a CRV long block in the shop waiting for just that to happen adn is therefore extremely motivated. Luck? Maybe, or perhaps hondas deal with this better? I doubt it. Hence why I say do it, let us know how it turns out. Then we'll have our answer. If he doesn't want to take the risk, well then don't do it. :beer :D

BTW, if I didn't think you didn't know what you were talking about, then why would I ask you for your assistance on my upcoming project? ;)

#47 ·
thats is an interesting read he had it boosting to 10 psi for a bit then backed it off to 7 psi and melted the piston then

I am aware of the hole safcII problem i was looking in to that when i first started thinking about the hole idea I do agree long turm we are going to go magasquart that was always the plan. I did some figuring and the stock injectors should be good to 135 hp at 100% load and at 5 psi it should make around 110 hp to 125 hp so for now this should work fine the thing is rarely used for 4x4 it is mostly an around town family car right now and will seldom see boost for an extend period

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.