BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing a buggy spring set-up for the front-end of my 81 K5 Jimmy.
I've got a pretty good idea of what is involved, but one thing I was wondering is if the caster angle was going to change too drastically.
With the buggy spring in there and the shackle coming off the buggy spring is going to give me some lift compared to the stock shackle set-up. So I was thinking of removing one of the leafs on my old (read stiff) 4" Rancho springs. Do you think this would end up being too soft? There are only 4 leafs.

Thanks for any input.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I've got a pretty good idea of what is involved, but one thing I was wondering is if the caster angle was going to change too drastically.
I'd guess it'd change by about 2-3 deg. Easily fixable with a shim.

With the buggy spring in there and the shackle coming off the buggy spring is going to give me some lift compared to the stock shackle set-up.
How much further down is your shackle going to mount to the frame? I would _guess_ that it would be around 2 to 3 inches. But that's only on one end of your springs. Halfing that figure will give you the resulting lift so you will probably end up with 1 to 1.5 inches of lift. Might not be noticable. I'd install it first and have a look.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just took a better look (w/ tape measure) and the upper mounting point for the shackle will be moving down about 4".
I already have a 4 degree shim in the front right now.
If I remove one of the leafs in my spring pack this might offset the lift and caster issues?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
How well will your steering linkage handle the extra flex? The stock drag link isn't that long so I'd think that having sveral extra inches of flex may cause problems...

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by tRustyK5:
If I remove one of the leafs in my spring pack this might offset the lift and caster issues?
That's very hard to say. Depends on how your springs bend with that leaf missing. You'll be in the trial and error zone. <g>

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drag link is pretty short and I do hate bump steer, so I'm looking at doing a crossover while I'm busy with the front end anyways. Right now I'm just trying to get any input that I can get and maybe save myself some grief later.
A friend of mine has a '79 3/4 ton (factory) Chev 4x4 Van. I know big deal. LOL. The big deal to me is it has a crossover steering set-up! So I'm going to try and source out the parts through GM if they still make the parts.
I am definitely going to need longer shocks after this, does anyone know how long the Rancho 5012's are? I'm sure the mounting location and length of shock is going to be a trial and error thing.
Thanks, Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The lowering of the rear of the spring will net you an increase in positve caster, a good thing for handling (up to a point) but will increase your pinion angle. You said you already have 4 degree shims in there, was this due to a u-joint angle problem?
On my 77 K20, I have 6" springs and am able to get away with 2 degree shims, so even with dropping the rear back down you might be OK.
Sounds like a neat project though, and I'm curious how you make out, and how much extra flex is gained.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been hearing that you can use Full size Jeep front springs with some minor modifications that will also net you about 4" of lift. I think I'll try and dig a set up. Somewhere between the Ranchos and the Jeep springs I should be able to acheive a softer ride and better flex with the buggy spring.
Hey if the Jeep guys can use Chevy stuff to make their rigs better why can't I use some Jeep stuff to make mine better? LOL

Rene

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, the reason I have the 4 degree shims is that I have the shortest possible Chevy driveshaft, SM 465/NP 205, so my u-joint angle neded correcting.
I at least have an accurate ramp score to go by now, I was at the ramp thingy at the Pitt meadows Airport on the weekend. 790 on the 20 degree ramp, I was a little disappointed. I probably could have made the mid 850's if I aired down but I wanted to establish a personal baseline for my truck.

Rene

[This message has been edited by tRustyK5 (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
First thing that popped in my head about this was,"Front buggys on a fullsize, Oooooh boy!!!, I'm not sure its a good idea, but I'd like to be there for the first trail run!!!
As far as removing leaves, your reduction in ride height may end up offsetting the increase in droop, by taking away from your avaliable compression, unless of course you were to put in cab controlled air bags
, for that matter take out all the leaves except the mains, and use the leaves just for locating the axle, and let the airbags do all the hard work.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts