BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess we lost it!!!!

After reading the Sept 7, 2002 Tri-city news and finding the article on Burke I am sure it is safe to say we lost the mountain. Our Land and Water B.C Inc. has said on Thursday that it is putting Burke up for sale nearly 800 acres of crown land and it also says it worth about $25 to $30 million dollors. :angry. So they say it will take 20 years to put in another 24,000 residents and 8 schools but we all know that once it's bought the effect will take place right away like clear cutting and the putting in of new roads. they are already working on the sewer lines to the northeast.

I for one find it hard to beleave but what can be done at this point other then locking yourself to a tree not much once the gov' makes up thier mind..

if anyone would like a copy of the article to read I can type it in word format and send a copy.

:angry :angry :angry :angry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't know if I should be happy or sad. I never wheeled up on Burke mountain. As far as I knew there was a key available to the boy scouts and for those that owned cabins up the mountain, but I never heard about any 4x4 trails. Lots of mountain biking though. My dad bought a couple acres up there over twenty years ago on speculation that it could be subdividable within a few years. Well it sounds like the time is near. And it's about time. There are hundreds of land owners up there that have been sitting on their land for decades waiting for the time that they could subdivide and cash in on their land. I'm sure there are also hundreds that don't want to see any development either.

One thing is for sure, as a city like ours grows we need more land for housing. There's no stopping it. I know I have to go out to Harrison or Stave for the nearest wheeling and I have been doing so for 8 years now, the good ol days of wheeling in your back yard are gone, gone, gone.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
1983 was the last year I remember going up there. If I recall correctly there was conflict between snowmobilers and 4x4's and gates went up. Back then you could drive up to the top of Grouse Mtn too:(

·
Registered
296 Posts
Burke is now set to become another Westwood Plateau. Time to start making plans to move further East. Except for the gay bridge into Ridge-Pitt that will only get worse, counter flow lane... ya that worked real good for about 6 months. Lets build a bridge over Albion to Langley. Whoops we can't, the Indians have found some crow's bones. Now its sacred burial land and we want 5 billion for it. Lower Mainland life has quickly become, within past 10-15 years, ****ing gay. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the key to burke mnt. for years, not to much for wheellin exept a few nice rock faces near the look out at the old ski hill, and a number of mud holes that will suck anyone in!. A buddy and I were the caretakers for the scout cabin owned by a scout group in coquitlam. they changed the key last year and haven't been bothered to get the key yet.
I know for a fact that they can't go to far up burke be cause the scouts and the other cabin owners still have a good 70 years left on their 100 year leases before they can build anywhere near the cabins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts