BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to buy a 96 1500 4x4, 5spd, 318. I don't want an auto as I've heard too many bad things about them. Anything I should watch out for? Truck has 200kms's but drives awesome.

·
Registered
183 Posts
woooooow the truck only has 200km thats not much i would buy it in a sec...

j/k

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm running a 97 with the 318 5 spd. Like the low 1st. Haven't heard too many bad things about gas autos, more the ones behind cummins. I haven't had any major probs w/ mine. Do axle u-joints about every 30000k but I have 136000km total without any letdowns.

------------------
97 ram 1500 swb.3" w/35"at. 4.56 w/rear detroit

·
Registered
183 Posts
you should go to the surrey auction tommorow and check out the dodge they have lot less km check the link http://www.auctionvancouver.com/vehicles.cfm?type=Lease

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 318 motors tend to detonnate on reg gas, lots of wheelhop, but fun to drive, if someone doesn't steal yours.

------------------
98 Dakota
No mods as of yet.....

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My friends dodge has the 318. It's a 92 Dakota, and it runs fine on reg gas. I personally would allway sugguest going for the bigger 360, but the 318 is a very nice engine. I haven't heard anything bad about the rams from around 96 except for the auto trannies. My friend with the dakota has just hit 300,000 km on his 318 and it runs as nicely as the day he bought it.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited January 08, 2002).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe its just the newer ones... I have heard of a lot of people with 318's from 98-present with detonnating problems. It is usually cured by reprogramming (flashing) the computers. Other than that, I love mine.

------------------
98 Dakota
No mods as of yet.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,I've had a 95 and a97 dodge ram pu with absolutley no major problems..But you should check out the front end (steering) components as many of them have been racked and end up with issues ...more so when you go to run a bigger tire ..and find out the damage when ya go to drive it! (my 95 had been racked but fixed off the books!) Anyway you should buy my truck!! 97 5spd 318 sport shorty on 33's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts