BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
hey, im looking to buy my first 4x4 and wondering if jeeps were any good stock and if they were cheap to fix and are reliable?
thanks alot
jeeps are great specially if you want to upgrade your upgraded upgrades for the rest of your life. look into the brand with T's in it.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Everyone has their preference.

Old is old. Does not really matter what it was. It will take maintenance and have age issues. 6 of one, half dozen of another. At that point, the previous owners will be the deciding factor in the reliability of the vehicle, not the manufacturers' logos.

I think the questions need asking.

What is your budget? Purchase and upgrade wise?
What do you need this vehicle to do for you?
What will you be doing with this vehicle?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
hey, im looking to buy my first 4x4 and wondering if jeeps were any good stock and if they were cheap to fix and are reliable?
thanks alot
IMO they can be good stock and are inexpensive to fix. My Jeeps have been reliable.

I'd recommend finding a TJ if you don't mind the small size. They're very capable off-road and can fit 31" tires in their stock configuration. Maybe even 33" tires if you get skinny ones.

You can look for a Toyota as well, but the ones with solid front axles will either be older or more expensive (late model Land Cruisers like the FZJ80...or right-hand drive imports from Japan).

Cherokees are also good but will need around 3" of lift just to fit 31" tires.

...lars

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Everything sucks off road when it's stock.

I believe, buy what is most common in your area. I really used to like toyotas because I knew lots of guys running them. I got into Jeeps because where I live that's the popular rig so there is lot's of knowlage and parts around.

But then, I modified my Jeep so heavily that it's not a Jeep anymore, so, I got nothing for ya................:clown

·
Registered
525 Posts
you should buy my samurai! 7g obo! if your interested then i'll give you a parts list, but only if your interested cause i don't feel like typing it all out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi, not intending to hijack this thread, but I thought id revive a dead one instead of start a new one, my advanced search didnt turn up much useful info.

I am without a 4x4 atm, I like Broncos and have had a 78 and a 79, I really fancy the Early Broncos but know very little about any other type of 4x4 out there like the toyotas, jeeps, etc..

I am looking for something that will perform well with the right mods.
Able to carry max 4 people, 2 will be young children. I plan to go easy for quite a long time while the kids grow up while at the same time learning and modding the truck as we gain experience, figure out what we like and which way to mod.

Do you vets think a 78/79 FSB can fit the bill? Reason is, Im familiar with it and have lots of parts myself and my friend has even more.

If an Early Bronco would be better all around, I will seriously consider to seek one out and make it our own over time.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I love watching people bash various vehicles yet they never expeienced them personally, I do love my jeeps, and they are actually cheap to maintian, biggest thing about em is preventative maintiance. I wheel with people with toyotas, suzukis and fords. they all work the same, as long as they are maintianed correctly. (each person perfers each things, I dont like zukes because they are small, I dont like toyotas because they are heavy with small engines, I dont like fords because their engineers are weird, I dont like chevs because they are only designed to be assembled, but get what you like, no one should bash you for it)

that is important with any vehicle to keep it reliable. dont cheap out on grease, and dont use general purpose grease, get high quality moly-sulphate/lithium mix grease for your bearings (u-joints, hubs etc, things that spin) slow moving objects, like ball joints, slip yokes, tie rod ends you want a THICK heavy wet high pressure grease (I use falk brand gear coupling grease, rated for 5yr industrial replacement intervals) use good quality oil with good quality filters, keep up on maintinace, rotate tires, check hubs etc quite often and you wont have problems.

when I used general purpose grease in my u joints I would change them every 3 months, now Ive got 2yrs and 70,000km on my u joints and they are still good.

I would go through steering evry 6 months, now that ive gone to falk grease, it is still solid after 2yrs 70,000km..

every 4x4 needs more maintiance then a car, so make sure you follow up and parts will be reliable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an '89 Ranger, my brother had a '91 s10 blazer, and my best friend had a '97 cherokee and I gotta say, they are all really the same when it comes to performance stock. They suck. Stock will get you nowhere really fast, unless you stay off the trails and only do gravel roads during the summer when there's no rain.
As far as cost - parts differ for everything. Like a lift will be cheaper for a ford or chev but replacing axles or bearings or shafts will be cheaper on the jeep. The best thing you can do for yourself before you buy anything is to go with a friend who has a 4x4 and ask if you can drive his/her truck for a couple mins. If he's part of a club, see what everyone else is driving. Ask the guys what they've done to their trucks and how much it cost and if they still drive on the road (that's important)
And obviously, the first thing to do when searching is see how the truck has been taken care of by the previous owner. If they're like me and drive everywhere with the skinny pedal doing all the action, well, chances are you will have to replace a few things. All comes down to personal preference really. If you like being able to take a bunch of people get an suv, if you like the utility factor get a pickup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.