BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am replacing a 1979 2wd 1 ton single cab with a 4 speed, with a 1985 3/4 ton single cab 2wd with auto. The 79 4 speed cab has a plate on the driveshaft tunnel to access trans. Since the 85 cab was column auto, I thought I would just cut hole and use 79 4 speed plate. When I lined 79 plate on 85 driveshaft tunnel it did not fit the contour. Then I noticed the tunnels were different. Could anyone tell me what 4 speed plate would fit from what years for my 85 cab? The gaps are too large to fab old plate in place.

Any info appreciated. Thanks,

Bob Johnston

·
Registered
536 Posts
Originally posted by bobknob:
Hello, I am replacing a 1979 2wd 1 ton single cab with a 4 speed, with a 1985 3/4 ton single cab 2wd with auto. The 79 4 speed cab has a plate on the driveshaft tunnel to access trans. Since the 85 cab was column auto, I thought I would just cut hole and use 79 4 speed plate. When I lined 79 plate on 85 driveshaft tunnel it did not fit the contour. Then I noticed the tunnels were different. Could anyone tell me what 4 speed plate would fit from what years for my 85 cab? The gaps are too large to fab old plate in place.

Any info appreciated. Thanks,

Bob Johnston
cut the whole tunnel out along the factory seam (just drill out the welds) and replace that portion in the auto cab. if you do it right it will look factory.done lots of them that way,makes everything fit right hope that helps you out

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automan,

Thanks for reply. That would work very well, and I would get all the threaded nuts to bolt up to. The problem is old tunnel
tapers down to floor level at bulkhead front seat bolts attach to. New tunnel goes over that bulkhead, tapers into floorboards halfway to rear seatbolts bulkhead. I will do the way you suggested if nothing easier comes along.
Is the best way to replace rear cab mount nuts= just cut through top and reweld?

Thanks, Bob Johnston

·
Registered
225 Posts
how much stuff are you working on???:spam

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's what I found out when I replaced my '80 cab with a '86 cab.
The floors are different, contour, mounting points for seats, seat belts. It was a crew cab, had to use a 1" spacer on the rad support, 3" under firewall, 4" back of cab to fit the '80 frame.
'80 seats & seat belts did not fit, I also used the '80 glass as it was fact. tint, it was thicker & was tight (hard to roll up windows)
Get a tunnle cover from an '81 up, & it will fit. "80 & lower won't. If you are putting a different cab on your frame, you will either have to get it inspected because of the different serial numbers cab to frame. Make sure you have reg's for both frame & cab.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks jeepin, I used factory cab mounts for the original frame (79) and they all seemed to be ok. After reading your post I will go recheck. I couldn't find a new trans tunnel like mine so I had to do a lot of welding and shaping, then used a whole tube of seam sealer underneath. The cab should be airtight now. I didn't realise there was diference in windshield thickness, I need one soon. Seat bolted in okay. Sure wish I would have used old style cab. Then I could have drilled spot welds, and had a simple fix. Live and learn I guess. At least now I'm rustfree.
I bought cab from jkl and he straightened me out on re registering cabs etc. Only scary part will be mvi.

Bob.

·
Registered
225 Posts
bob, what is the scoop on registering cabs??

·
Registered
225 Posts
do you use the tags and reggy from new cab, or swap ones from old cab or what???
if you buy new cab from wrecking yard... i was told no papers come with it, as icbc stamps salvage only on papers..

thanks gerry

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's some toubles I had a few years ago when I built a truck out of pieces. Bought a frame & cab from a wrecker, no papers. Built the truck & drove it to ICBC (they weren't impressed) They ended up using the frame numbers & after checking to see if either piece was stollen, issued me a new regy. I also built a '52 Chev body on a '69 frame, had papers for both, they registered it as a '69??? I then a few years later put the body on a '80 frame. All I did was use my '52 2wd regy & told the insuarance place that there was a typo on my regy & that it should say 4wd. They changed it no problem & out the door I went. I called ICBC last week & asked about useing a cab with no papers, they told me that if I didn't have papers for the cab I couldn't register it. I then asked if I gave them a number off a cab if they could tell me the last registered owner so I could get papers from them, they said NO!:confused: Also you can't just pop the metal tag off & put your old tag on the new cab as they use special rivetts that you can't buy, & they sticker will no peel off.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't get reggie from jkl. Just bill of sale. I show icbc the bill of sale, my old reggie, get safety inspection, then they assign new V.I.N placed on door jam.
I THINK but not positive, you have to demonstrate with paperwork (bill of sale, or reggie etc.) that neither vehicle was stolen. Still best to contact someone in the know for finer details?

·
Registered
225 Posts
man what a bunch of bull****. i can see proving that one never stole it etc. but why make it so hard.
you can still get names and addys of last reg owner thou and i just checked the other day!
however 2 other ins ladies told me it cant be done, as they did not feel like it.

gerry

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought you could do a registered owner search, and a lien search at motor vehicle branch? But maybe things have changed since last time I did it?

Gerry, If your 86 was for parts only, why couldn't you put your 86 parts onto other vehicle? since you have registration for both, couldn't you just re-register the non 86?

·
Registered
225 Posts
yep that would sure work allright , but the 86 is in such nice shape , its too much work!
i hope to have it registered on tuesday unless i need to drive to langley.. (and you know what for):angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know what you mean? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey, maybe I could meet you part way if things work out and I get this new vehicle I'm bidding on?

;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
oh= i wonder how you can get part way with 2 broken legs....
broken arms, etc. etc. ya bettor have a chauffer lined up with vehicle equipped with back board , nurse etc. etc. and you sure do know what i mean!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gerry, I think you got the wrong bobknob:confused: :confused: :confused:

401 waggy, 4.56:1 gears, More to come.

·
Registered
225 Posts
oh no i dont, and dont forget= all your fingers will be broken so you will remain a chimp for the rest of your very short life expectancy..

p.s. the waggy is now rigged to explode as soon as you start it up. :angry :angry :angry :angry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts