BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 4runner 22re and want to swap a 87 cab onto the runner frame. The 87 cab has the full wiring harness but is for a 22r. 1st would you swap complete harnesses or splice in only the fuel injected related wiring into the other harness. What are you guys doing as far as wiring harnesses are related when swapping cabs? Any help with the do's and dont's of body swap's would be helpful. Any toy guys in Kamloops want to help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you considered going carb, with a webber or something? I've done the same thing a couple times and the fuel injection always ends up f***ed up some how, i'd be a lot easier and would probably give you some more HP.
Just an idea. :D :beer

·
Registered
389 Posts
stay with the fuel injection if you are going to use it off road.
for the wiring if you have the 87 wireharnes you shouldnt have a problem,the dash interiopr might be a bit more difrent,but really you shouldnt have that much of a problem.,,

just my 2bits:canadian

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switching to a carb was never a consideration. I was just looking for input as to how complicated things can get when switching cabs and wiring harnesses

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im swapping cabs now (87 onto 85 but both EFI)and its not that hard just time consuming . (ie I got sidetracked by school). If its an 87 cab it will work but since its Carburated you will need to put a hole in the top right hand side of your dash for your EFI wiring harness, look on your 85 on your passenger side and you will see it, just use the same rubber boot.

You will also need to trim 1 1/2" or 2" on your shifter hole, cant remember right now either forward or back. This is because the Tranny's are different lengths, thus you will need to trim. Dont worry about it though. When you put your shifter boots back on you will just need to pop rivet a little sheetmetal to the open side and cover with your carpet or rubber flooring.

As for the wiring harness it may be overkill on my part but I took white electrical tape and a permanent black marker and labelled EVERYTHING. But when you put the wiring harness back in the cab and engine compartment it will also just kinda fall into the old position, also all the plugs on the harness will only fit in ONE location as they are all different. But do get a factory manual if you can, Im borrowing a friends and its a lifesaver with some of the wiring and vacuum hoses.

Sorry for the long post, hope this kinda helps.
Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.