BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to early posts in another thread, I too will have a winch. A Ramsey 8000. The only thing that concerns me is my stock birfs (no $$$ for longfields yet) and my 35" Mud Kings, but I think my truck should be up to it once it's done.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
In response to early posts in another thread, I too will have a winch. A Ramsey 8000. The only thing that concerns me is my stock birfs (no $$$ for longfields yet) and my 35" Mud Kings, but I think my truck should be up to it once it's done.

I am sure a bc4x4 addict like yourself has read this article numerous times and fantasized about what it would be like to run it your self in a SAS Toyota
http://www.bc4x4.com/tr/1998/camel/camel.cfm

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I can hardly wait.

------------------

·
Registered
76 Posts
in response to the other posts question about the fullsize rigs doing camel, yup it possible but if your worried about sheetmetal, make sure your lifted with wide tires or short wheelbase or you will be one banged up rig when you get out, i did the trail in my fullsize f250 with 38's and did alot of body damage...my buddies fs bronco with 16 inch wide 35's did it with no damage...but now i am 8 inches higher and have 16 inch wide 40's i should be ok!!!

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 70 rear 60 front, 40 swampers<br>
ford message board-check it out

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would love to try that trail. I got the winch but int he article Lars and Chris are sporting lockers. Are they needed for this trail or are they just a luxury to have. And when is the best time to try this trail season wise..]

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by jason-ramsey:
I would love to try that trail. I got the winch but int he article Lars and Chris are sporting lockers. Are they needed for this trail or are they just a luxury to have. And when is the best time to try this trail season wise..]
I'd say front and rear lockers are a must, but that's just what I've heard. I've never actually run the trail... yet.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by jason-ramsey:
I would love to try that trail. I got the winch but int he article Lars and Chris are sporting lockers. Are they needed for this trail or are they just a luxury to have. And when is the best time to try this trail season wise..
Let me put it this way, if you're going in without lockers, I would do my best to avoid getting stuck behind you on that trail. ;-)

Seriously, if you go there when the water/mud is nice and high, you would be insane to go without lockers.

As for the time of year, I'd wait till near the end of the summer when it gets a chance to really dry out (although I doubt it will dry out completely).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's some great advice Larry. I think I'll definetly be waiting until then not just for the dryness factor but to completely test my drivetrain out over the summer so I can be confident that there will be no breakage.

------------------

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was referring to the first trip 2bit, you might have got a scratch or two, but nothing major...the second time really doesnt have anything to do with sheetmetal damage...you just had some crappy luck with that front end getting screwed up.

its definately not a wimpy truck or faint hearted trail!!!

------------------
77 f250 460 4 spd, 70 rear 60 front, 40 swampers<br>
ford message board-check it out

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Pete, if you don't want any breakage, maybe you should consider another hobby!?!?

------------------
1990 4 Runner...tall, tippy, and purple.
1987 XJ ...shorter, stable, and Green
"going around is NOT an option!"

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I meant was that looks like a nasty trail have breakage occur on. The article states it's real hard to get turned around. Testing my new stuff out on some milder trails will be a better idea I think.

------------------

·
Registered
19 Posts
where is the camel? ill go quad up it and see how bad it really is

------------------
1972 gmc 4x4 454 bbc,205,4 spd,d-60, c 14 bolt both detroited.crossover steering,8 inch suspension 37 inch boggers, custom front and rear bumpers, lights and winch.. custom shackles with shackle inversion... the list doesnt end, etc etc etc....

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Camel Trophy Trail has got to be the muddiest most insane trail I have ever seen. The reason that the trail is so damn muddy is because of the all the dead and rotting branches and needles from trees. The forest is so thick around there that the actual forest floor is about 1 meter to 2 meters below what it appears to be. We get a lot of rain out here and when the forest is THAT thick it takes a long time to dry out. That is a wicked combo for mud, not to mention how tight the trail is.

If anyone on this board is serious about making it to the other side of this trail I would suggest at least 6" of lift(susp.+BL), BIG tires, lockers(front and rear would be best)at least a front mounted winch, gearing and a sh*tload of power,no stock Jeep axles(especially a two peice AMC20
) and don't even think about doing this trail without another vehicle. Mid August is when the trails in Maple Ridge are the driest but this trails simply does not dry out ever.

I'd love to say that I'd go with you guys but after last time I think I'd rather buy a FORD
than spend a day on that trail. Best of luck to all who decide to try thier luck. Expect some breakage and use lots of gas.

------------------
80 Cj5, Met.Grey,360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ Blue6/6.5" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

·
Registered
19 Posts
okay well i want to know where the trail is, so could someone please tell me where it is, and which turns to take in getting there... much appreciated....

------------------
1972 gmc 4x4 454 bbc,205,4 spd,d-60, c 14 bolt both detroited.crossover steering,8 inch suspension 37 inch boggers, custom front and rear bumpers, lights and winch.. custom shackles with shackle inversion... the list doesnt end, etc etc etc....

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by 72 gmc:
okay well i want to know where the trail is, so could someone please tell me where it is, and which turns to take in getting there... much appreciated....
Send me an email: [email protected]

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by MikeCj5:
I'd love to say that I'd go with you guys but after last time I think I'd rather buy a FORD
I feel the same way...after being on it and sampling its wares, I'll not be taking my Jeep on it again. Too much hassle cleaning the mud out and I don't like re-packing bearings. I will, however, ride along and bring a waterproof camera to record the action. I refuse, however, to pull winch cable!!!!

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm going to go through again in the summer on a fullsize run.Also it will be done on a day where no one has to work the next.Bringing in three or more trucks would probably mean not getting out before midnight

------------------
93bronco

·
Registered
155 Posts
An air source and plenty of valve stems along w/a can or two of ether wouldn't hurt.

------------------
93bronco

1 - 20 of 22 Posts