BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want more steering throw can a cut my pitman and weld a piece in?

I know this sounds crazy but it should work right?

:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
NO!

Crazy ..AND illegal..
What kind of vehicle do you need the longer pitman arm for?.. your CJ?
A few things to consider....your CJ has a super common Saginaw steering box.... just about any Pitman arm that was ever used on almost all Detroit big three auto makers from the sixties till the present day will swap onto that steering box.
A few good candidates for a suitable longer pitman arm for a stock CJ...
70's Camaro/firebird... approx 7"spacing and dead flat
Chev Astrovan.. a little shorter and suprisingly beefy.. (it's what I run)
Jeep Wagoneer ... a little longer than the Camaro arm and has a 1/2 " drop
93+ Dodge 1/2 ton truck... factory 4" drop arm... will need re-tapering (is tapered opposite side up)

these are but a FEW... there is a whole world of options available to the man with the pitman arm puller in hand..

Another thing to think about... if the steering setup is not matched (knuckle arm length and throw to Pitman length and throw... the new pitman may do nothing to help....
Basically when the knuckles hit the steering stops and the front axle U-joints are at max angle ... that is all you get.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'll second what Chris says. People have done it but it would never pass inspection and IMO it's very unsafe.

Chris is right about the availability of OEM arms that you could use. With a little leg work I'm sure you can find something that will fit your needs.

Here's a picture that may help.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run a CJ dropped arm thats probably where my throw has been lost.

Thanx for the help guys, I think I will go high steer with a stock pitman arm.

·
Registered
363 Posts
not to steal your spotlight, but since were on basically the same topic........

does anyone know what other (if any) arms/boxes share the toyota taper and spline count? im looking for a straight arm (like a stock cj) to fit an ifs box. ive seen people use cruiser arms, but every one ive found is similar to a solid axle arm (opposite of drop and a rod end). a newer 2wd arm is the best ive found so far. only a slight drop, but its 35mm shorter and i rather the ball joint on top of the arm, but am willing to re taper the ball joint hole.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Greg82 said:
I run a CJ dropped arm thats probably where my throw has been lost.

Thanx for the help guys, I think I will go high steer with a stock pitman arm.
I have the same problem with my CJ drop pitman arm so I know that's where your turning radius went.

The hi steer conversion is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
They are shorter?? I woulda thought they should be the same length but a 2-4" drop to them.
What do they do??..heat and bent stockers?? Sounds kinda gout to me.
If I was to PAY for a drop pitman arm I would expect it to be the same length as the one it's replacing.
If thats the case......it all makes sence now.(kinda/not realy)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Rogue Bronco said:
They are shorter?? I woulda thought they should be the same length but a 2-4" drop to them.
What do they do??..heat and bent stockers?? Sounds kinda gout to me.
If I was to PAY for a drop pitman arm I would expect it to be the same length as the one it's replacing.
If thats the case......it all makes sence now.(kinda/not realy)
Take a look at the picture I posted earlier in this chain. If you look at the stock CJ pitman arm and the drop pitman arm, you'll see that the distance between the two holes is not the same.

Some drop pitman arms are made shorter so they clear the other steering components etc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Okay, now for a tougher one...
I have a Ford Ranger manual steering box, and about 6" of suspension lift. So far, I have had zero luck finding a drop Pittman arm for the manual box (same spline count and index marks, but about 1/4" smaller diameter)

Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts