BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for new tires for my jeep, 33's. I've heard good things about the goodyear duratracs, but when i tried them i wasn't impressed, granted they were used. Has anyone tried the goodyear MTRs?

·
Registered
395 Posts
What do you use your jeep for and how much real wheeling will you be doing ? Do you want a tire that is soft or hard ? how much Street driving do you do ? be honest and give as much info as you can and better help will come

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I recently bought a set of Toyo open country at's and I am happy with them so far. I have only had them mounted 3 months now. I'm not uber impressed with the traction in the snow off road but then again I haven't aired them down past 17 psi either. They are super super quiet on the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My jeeps a daily driver, but i try to go out as much as possible. The snow has been my biggest obstacle. So far i've been sticking to service roads (I just bought the jeep and am still getting a feel for it). Thanks for the review 4Lo, that was another tire i was looking at. Also, any suggestions on tire pressure?

·
Registered
395 Posts
on my tj I ran truxus mt's and they were AMAZING IN THE SNOW and not too loud on the road , I would buy them again if I only put 20,000k street k's a year on it

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The best canadian price I found locally on the toyo's was at symon's tire in mission. $200 cheaper than evreywhere else. That was for 4 265 60 18 for the Pathfinder. $1130 out the door after factory mail in rebate of $50.

I paid $1360 for 4 of the same tires in a 35 12.50 15. That reminds me I never got offered the $50 mail in rebate from jeep thrills. wtf?

·
Registered
831 Posts
on my tj I ran truxus mt's and they were AMAZING IN THE SNOW and not too loud on the road , I would buy them again if I only put 20,000k street k's a year on it
X2 on the TrXus MTs. I have them and love them in any weather condition(s). Never a problem with them, even at 0 Psi. Great road wear, quiet, but the only downside is finding them locally and the price. Either way, I'd buy another set without thinking twice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had Duratracs on my TJ. I thought they were amazing tires, especially in the snow. My brother has BFG's on his truck and he definitely got less traction than I did in the snow.

My new jeep has about 50% tread left on the mtr's. I'm planning on switching back to duratracs when it's time to replace them, if that's any indication.

·
Registered
388 Posts
X10 on the Trxus mts!!!!!! they are AMAZING on the road, super quiet and excellent handling, even with my 37s

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just bought some Duratracs 35s a couple of weeks ago and really like them. They are very quiet and after putting on 2500kms I seemed to have saved a bit on gas too. They are only 2 ply sidewalls though but since I'll only be using them mainly as winter tire that's fine with me. I've had them out on a few trails and they worked really well and they have excellent on road manners, just remember that sharp rocks will not be your friend (sidewalls).

My designated offroad tires are Truxs MT's and I sure wouldn't buy them again. they are heavy, very loud, not great in mud and suck on side hill action plus they are hard to get and expensive. I've run them at 0 lbs with my Staun internal beadlocks and they were great in the snow but I think they are very happy between 5 - 8 lbs with a good patch. Somebody above said he ran them a 0 lbs without beadlocks and that makes me shake my head. Truxs like the Duratracs are only 2 ply sidewalls unless you're running 37s or 18in rims. I will groove them so I can get 1 more season out of them then turf them.

I had the use of some 35 MTRs with kevlar on beadlocks a couple of month ago and thought they were really great. They worked alot better than my Truxs in everything except deep snow and they will be my next offroad tire. I ran them at 0lbs and they were fine but I think the sweet spot is around 7 lbs where you get the good patch. You can get them anywhere (depending on size) and are way quieter than the Truxs, have better on road manners than the Truxs and way less expensive. Side hilling was also a whole lot easier too. You also get 3 ply sidewalls with kevlar, how can ya go wrong .

Figure out what your use will be then decide, for a weekend tire I think the Duratracs will be hard to beat but for a full on 4x4 tire with good road manners the MTRs with kevlar are really good tires. This is of course just my opinion, good luck.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For our F350 Duratracs have been amazing. My wheeler has Geolander M/T's ..... Those tires dig and do very well in the snow ;)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I had BFG All terrains and wanted something slightly more aggressive, but not quite a dedicated mud tire. I mostly do hunting/fishing trails and those on east/west harrison plus Whipsaw starting 2011, so i really don't need a dedicated mud tire per-se. I like to do a fair amount of exploring in the snow as well and so i decided to get the Duratracs.

I've been happy with them so far. They are definitely a bit more loud than the BFG All terrains, but i haven't noticed a drop in MPG. I've had them since August. They drive well and smooth, but they did take quite a bit more weights to get them to balance.

After 4 years my BFG sidewalls were looking pretty bad, but so far the Duratracs have survived Whipsaw without any marks on them, so we will see how they hold up compared to those.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just bought some Duratracs 35s a couple of weeks ago and really like them. They are very quiet and after putting on 2500kms I seemed to have saved a bit on gas too. They are only 2 ply sidewalls though but since I'll only be using them mainly as winter tire that's fine with me. I've had them out on a few trails and they worked really well and they have excellent on road manners, just remember that sharp rocks will not be your friend (sidewalls).

My designated offroad tires are Truxs MT's and I sure wouldn't buy them again. they are heavy, very loud, not great in mud and suck on side hill action plus they are hard to get and expensive. I've run them at 0 lbs with my Staun internal beadlocks and they were great in the snow but I think they are very happy between 5 - 8 lbs with a good patch. Somebody above said he ran them a 0 lbs without beadlocks and that makes me shake my head. Truxs like the Duratracs are only 2 ply sidewalls unless you're running 37s or 18in rims. I will groove them so I can get 1 more season out of them then turf them.

I had the use of some 35 MTRs with kevlar on beadlocks a couple of month ago and thought they were really great. They worked alot better than my Truxs in everything except deep snow and they will be my next offroad tire. I ran them at 0lbs and they were fine but I think the sweet spot is around 7 lbs where you get the good patch. You can get them anywhere (depending on size) and are way quieter than the Truxs, have better on road manners than the Truxs and way less expensive. Side hilling was also a whole lot easier too. You also get 3 ply sidewalls with kevlar, how can ya go wrong .

Figure out what your use will be then decide, for a weekend tire I think the Duratracs will be hard to beat but for a full on 4x4 tire with good road manners the MTRs with kevlar are really good tires. This is of course just my opinion, good luck.
was it the potholes in Kits or the parts on your Jeep that made you think the Trxus MTs were loud??? :poke: they are VERY quiet on the street especially for a tire that has such meaty outer lugs an lets face it... they are made by Interco... enough said

·
Registered
831 Posts
Somebody above said he ran them a 0 lbs without beadlocks and that makes me shake my head.
That was me that said that. I have an OBA system so I wanted to try them at 0 Psi. Sure enough they worked just fine. I would feel better about doing it with the Staun's like Robin, but it was a good test. 6-8 Psi seems to be the perfect pressure (for me anyways) for the contact patch that Robin mentions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My new jeep has about 50% tread left on the mtr's. I'm planning on switching back to duratracs when it's time to replace them, if that's any indication.
Why are you changing back? Performance or treadwear?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Happy with my KM2's so far.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Igor,,, man you are so right about the weights, couldn't believe it.

Taco,,,, Kits is just one giant pothole but I still stand by the noise that my Truxs put out. They are by far the loudest tire I've driven, Goodyear MT's, BFG MT's, Goodyear MTRs, Mickey Ts etc etc. I noticed it when I got them put on, I couldn't believe how loud they were and still are.

VBCG,,,, bet ya didn't drive to far, I sure wouldn't unless there was absolutely no choice.

Yokohama's were another set I've driven and really liked them, a good all round offroad tire but found them a little pricey.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts