BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to install my new dynomax 2.5 muffler and tail pipe. But the old muffler has been melted to the outlet of the catalytic converter. So since the outlet part is 8" long, could i just sawzall it off and then slid the new muffler over the top and call it done?
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think that would be a weld.......and sure I wouldn't see why you couldn't cut that. That's what I did when I put the Gibson on....

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you did cut it, the reason i don't think its a weld is because the muffler is half on the cat outlet, but if it'll work by cutting it, than i will, what did you cut the outlet pipe with?
Jordan

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can probally just use a hacksaw. I am doing the same thing this weekend, My jeep at stock never had a cat, so I have to cut my y pipe back a bit and cut some off the intake on the cat converter so I can fit it in and make it pass air care lol.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"
Mods? well I hold my muffler up with a coat hanger.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, cut it but make sure you'll have enough room to put the new muffler on. I used a hacksaw.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

[This message has been edited by nikon_jeeper (edited September 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut the cat today, installed the dynomax exhaust. Sounds awesome and i can definitely notice the power increase.
Jordan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it. just make sure that you seal the weld or you'll get that annoying "thu..thu..thu" out of the leak.

------------------
95'YJ (my toy)
83'CJ8 (Staying stock)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts