BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did it for about 6 months with no problems. The hinges are stronger on a TJ compared to a YJ. But... it is too much load for a sheet metal door, so I'd wouldn't do it for too long. Do it as a temporary measure while you search for the perfect tire carrier, (just don't catch you tire on a rock or you'll fold up the door).

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree, you may have to let some air out to get it to fit but my buddies had his 33's on his stock rack for a year and a half and it's starting to noticeably warp the door.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have my 33" spare set up so most of the weight rests on a teflon pad I mounted to the bumper. No extra stress to the hinges so no sagging.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I just took my rack off, mud tires aren't likely to pop on the road, and when i hit the trail I throw the spare in the back.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Baby Joe said:
I just took my rack off, mud tires aren't likely to pop on the road, and when i hit the trail I throw the spare in the back.
I hope you lash it down securely. I nearly got hit by a tire that bounced out of the back of a jeep a couple years ago.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I have been doing is loading her up in the back of the Jeep when off-road. I don't want to fork out for a swing out rack just yet. New tires on the Jeep so I am not really running the risk of a flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts